Chapter 10

laid eyes on. Even angry with him, as she was now, she was beautiful. Her mouth, her dark brows as graceful as a bird's wings, the tendrils of brown hair that fell over her forehead and curled on her neck. How had he ever thought that she was too tall? Sitting next to little Miriam Yoder, Dorcas and the other girls, Mary looked like a swan in a pond full of ducks.

How had he ever believed that Susan was the right fit for him? From the time they were small, he and Mary had been in sync. Often they had even said the same thing at the same time. They both loved ice cream, walnuts—but not hazelnuts—and peanut-butter-and-banana sandwiches. His mother used to tease that he and Mary must have been twins who were separated on the way down from heaven and landed in different houses.

On how many occasions over the years had he thought of her, laughed at something funny that she'd said, gotten sentimental over something that she'd done? All the time he'd spent searching for the right woman to be his wife, his Mary was waiting for him.

Caleb had prayed to God to help him find a solution to his problem, and the next day, she had appeared. Certainty settled into Caleb's chest as he glanced in her direction.

Mary Glick was the only girl in the world for him. All he had to do was convince her that he could make her happy.

Charley proposed a game where the boys and girls sat knee to knee, and everyone got up and moved their chairs. Each person clapped in time to the song, slapped their own knees and then slapped their partner's hands. Mary obviously liked this game because she played enthusiastically, smacking Caleb's palms so hard that they stung.

Everyone was singing except for him, and he waited until the chorus got louder before mouthing to Mary. "I need to talk to you. Will you let me drive you home?" He had to say it twice before she heard him. Then her eyes widened, she flushed a pretty pink and shook her head.

"Please?"

"Not if you were the last—" The song ended, leaving Mary's words echoing in the room. Everyone laughed, and she rose and ran out of the house.

"What are you waiting for?" Miriam asked Caleb, shooing him with her hands. "Go after her! And be sure you have her home by ten."

More laughter came from some of the boys. Caleb didn't care. He went out the front door and into the yard. The crescent moon cast a pale light over the farmyard. High above, a thousand stars glittered in a blue velvet sky.

"Mary!" he called into the darkness. "Where are you?" A dog barked, and then he saw a figure striding purposefully down the lane.