Chapter 15

The words were out of her mouth before Mary realized what she was saying. What she was implying...which was that she

was

interested in having him court her.

"Are you sure you want me to come in?" he asked. "I won't keep apologizing, Mary. If we're to explore how we feel, we have to put the past behind us. The bad parts, I mean."

"

Ya,

" she agreed. And she realized that she needed to put her own insecurities aside, too. If she was going to give him a chance—them a chance—she had to be brave. As brave as he was to have brought them this far.

"You're right. We need to put it all behind us and start again." 

Riding home from the singing with Caleb in his buggy was the fulfillment of a lifetime dream. It was what she'd always imagined when she thought about courting a boy...almost. She'd just never pictured Caleb in her mind.

But the reality was so much better. So much...scarier. Unconsciously, she gripped the dashboard of the buggy.

Caleb was with her again and asking to court her. It was almost too much to take in. The thought of marrying him and moving to Virginia overwhelmed her. She'd be so far from home in Virginia.

No, it would never work, no matter how much she cared for him.

But the moment the thought went through her mind, she was reminded of the accusations her family and friends had made. They said she was always too picky when it came to suitors, that she never gave boys a fair chance and was always coming up with excuses why a match was unsuitable. Were they right? Was that what she was doing now, too? 

He helped her down from the buggy.

This was it. This was her opportunity to give Caleb a chance. To believe him when he said he cared for her. This was her opportunity to get past the doubts she had about herself. This was her chance at happiness. "I want you to come in," she said.

"So I'm truly forgiven?" 

"

Ya,

Caleb." She smiled at him, suddenly excited about the thought of having him in, sitting down and talking with him. They had so much catching up to do. "You're forgiven." Mary was reaching for the kitchen doorknob when the door swung open.

"Mary!" her aunt said. "And Caleb...Stutzman, isn't it?"

He nodded. "Evening."

"I've asked him in for coffee," Mary explained.

"Singing over early?" Aunt Viola peered past them at Caleb's buggy. "Caleb drove you home, did he?" She beamed. "Come in, both of you. Coffee's on the back of the stove. And cinnamon buns." 

Caleb followed them into the kitchen. "I'd love a cinnamon bun."

"Young men are always hungry." Aunt Viola waved them toward the long kitchen table.

Her uncle wandered into the kitchen. "Did I hear something about coffee and cinnamon buns?" He offered a hearty greeting to Caleb. "Stutzman, ain't it?"

Caleb nodded and shook Uncle Harvey's hand.

"Heard you've come into good fortune," Aunt Viola said as she poured mugs of coffee. "Promised a farm, isn't that right?" She stared pointedly at Mary.

Caleb nodded again and looked uncomfortable.

Mary felt her cheeks growing hot. "It's not... We're not..." She tried again. "Caleb and I were friends when we were children."

"A good start to walking out with a girl." Uncle Harvey tugged on his beard, sizing up Caleb.

"Particularly since you're in a hurry to find a wife." Aunt Viola turned to Mary. "Martha heard from Elizabeth that Caleb's grandfather wants to give him the farm, but only if he's married. If he doesn't bring home a wife within the month, the land goes to a cousin. What a blessing that he found you, Mary."