Chapter 13

Mary was silent for a moment. "I forgave you years ago," she said softly.

"Did you?" 

Caleb stepped closer, and Mary took a step back. She felt lightheaded.

"You're right. It was a long time ago. We were children."

"We're not children now." He brushed his fingers across her lips. "It's time I settled down, married, raised a family."

"Good for you." Her mouth tingled where he'd touched her and a flush of warmth rose under her skin. "But I don't see what that has to do with me."

"Don't you?"

She shook her head. "Ne."

"You're not making this any easier for me." 

Caleb sounded hurt, and she felt a twinge of regret for treating him like this. Of course she did know what he was talking about. That's why she was suddenly so scared.

"You and me. We'd never work out," she said, not really sure why she said it. She couldn't think straight with him so close.

"Because of what I did at the spelling bee?" He inhaled sharply. "So you are holding that against me?" He took her hand.

She tried to pull away, but he held on tightly. His hand was hard, callused from work, but his grip wasn't rough. It was gentle and warm.

"I wouldn't have done it if I'd known what it meant to you," he went on. "And you never told me that your father would have let you repeat the eighth grade."

"Probably wouldn't have been the same. My best friends were graduating. But it was what I wanted then." She slipped her hand from his. "I felt betrayed, Caleb."

"I understand that." His tone was contrite. "You were entitled, but I'd like to make it up to you."

"It's too late."

"It's never too late to right a wrong. Your family sent you here to find a husband, didn't they?"

"Ya." She crossed her arms. "Nice of you to remind me of it."

"You're a stubborn girl, Mary Glick. You always were. But you were always sensible, too. Think about it. You need a husband and I need a wife. Shouldn't we give it a chance?"

"It would never work," she said hastily. "I never thought of you that way... I could never..." The lie almost caught in her throat. She had loved Caleb Stutzman. Maybe she still did.

"Is that truth speaking, Mary? From your heart? Or is it your pride that's still smarting?"

Mary pressed her lips together, not sure what to do with all the feelings bubbling up inside her. Was she really still angry with Caleb about that incident all those years ago, or was this about avoiding the present? About how confused and afraid and terrifyingly hopeful she felt now? No other boy had really wanted her. It was hard to believe Caleb did. Caleb of all people...

"I'm sorry," Mary said. "I don't mean to be prideful and unforgiving." The words stung as she spoke them because they were true.

"You were my best friend," he said. "I think we could be more. Spend time with me. Give me the opportunity to show you that I can be trusted. Let me show you that I'm not the same stupid boy I was. Let me show you how much I could love you."