Chapter 3: Birthday surprise

Lucius woke up by the sound of loud voices and blinked to get used to the light. He was a bit nauseous and rubbed his wrists as he sat up in Seth's bed. It took some time for his eyes to focus but he soon realized the pile of pillows and a blanket was not, in fact, Seth. From there on he reached the conclusion that he was part of the arguing downstairs.

Suddenly the voices stopped as the sound of a door slamming shut rung through the house, and Lucius frowned. What were they fighting about now?

It was as if it took an eternity to get dressed as he looked out the window. It wasn't as though Seth and his parents fighting was a new occurrence, but something felt off. Seth didn't usually storm out. He usually shut himself in his room for the better part of the day.

But no sign of Seth here.

Lucius hadn't even reached the final step of the stairs before his mother called out to him with what he considered the most excitable voice she'd ever had.

"Happy birthday, Lucius darling!"

Lucius received a nod of recognition from his father. Boy, what a special day it was.

As he'd suspected Seth wasn't there. He smiled at his parents though, still looking around to make sure someone else hadn't slammed the door. Not that there would be anyone else in their house.

The last thought was suddenly disproven as Lucius's gaze soon fell onto a man.

A stranger.

Lucius instantly backed away, almost falling off the last step of the stairs. He turned his head to look at his parents.

"Where—Where's Seth?"

"Oh." His mother chuckled. Her voice was smooth like honey. Dripping, too sweet honey. "See, Dear, he got word that there was an open slot for a course he wanted to attend, so he had to run."

Lucius frowned. It sure hadn't sounded like it from the arguing.

"He'll be back later, don't worry." Gloria gestured to the strange man. "Anyway, I'd like you to meet Dr. Thomson."

The doctor greeted Lucius. Lucius did not greet him back.

"I apologize for his rudeness," his mother continued, throwing Lucius a scornful glare. "He's a bit of a morning grump."

Lucius stepped off the stairs in order to back away further as the doctor approached him. The atmosphere was wrong. This man was wrong. He had no idea why, or why his heart was beating so fast, but he wanted nothing more than to follow Seth's example and run out of there.

Suddenly he bumped into his father, who took a firm grip on his shoulder. He even attempted a smile, and Lucius wanted to scream. What was going on? Why were his parents acting like this? He refused to smile back as his mother patted his head, and as his father's grip increased in pressure to the point of Lucius being pushed forward he couldn't help but struggle.

They all led him to the bathroom much to his reluctance and placed him down on a flaky old chair. A chair that hadn't been in there before.

"What—What's going on?" he finally had to ask. "What are you doing?"

"It's the surprise!" His mother beamed at him. "It's just a small procedure, and it'll be over before you know it."

"A... A procedure? Why?"

Dr. Thomson held out a bottle to him.

"Here, drink this."

Lucius wouldn't dream of it. He leaned away as far as he could from the bottle. His father sighed.

The Meaning Of Eternity (TMOE #1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara