Chapter 11: Dyris and Zearis

Lucius hesitated to step inside the sanctuary.

He hadn't entered one since he lived in Wyrmdon, and looking at his dirty, blood soaked attire he didn't feel like he had a place there. The sanctuaries were places of worship, and you didn't just enter it dressed as filth incarnate.

Still, the fear of his recent encounter with a literal scourge left him little to no choice, and he soon stepped through the large double doors.

The inside was quiet and void of people. It figured, Lucius thought as he looked around the circular structure. It was the middle of the night. Lights were still lit at the four towers placed around the main hall though, as well as across the bridges connecting to the large platform in the middle. It was smaller than the sanctuary Lucius was used to, but the towers were all there despite probably only fitting around three people at the same time. He placed a hand against the door to Dyris' tower, whispering an apology for his appearance. He wouldn't enter it to reach the altar. He couldn't show himself to an archon in the state he was in.

Continuing on he passed by the tower of Rarin. He only glanced at it. The archon of justice, people said. She was supposed to represent forgiveness, equity and respect too, but Lucius' lip curled. Justice, people had called it back there. Was Rarin responsible for their actions? Was Rarin, the archon of equity responsible for the unfair treatment of the Hydrina inhabitants? Was she responsible for the people disregarding every Entrails dweller without giving them a chance while also representing respect?

He shook his head at the tower. He'd never go so far as to actively renounce an archon but he sure had to question one of them at a time like this. Silently, in his own mind.

"And what has brought you here, child?" A voice suddenly said behind Lucius and he jumped, turning around to face a man in shimmering white garments. "Your appearance seems to suggest you are not here just to pray in the middle of the night?"

"I..." Lucius wasn't quite sure what to say. "No. I wanted... I just need help. Or... Shelter. I need some kind of safety. Or protection."

The priest calmly scanned his appearance again.

"There was a mass execution earlier today," he said, and Lucius flinched. "Is it possible you are a survivor?"

Would he say yes in this situation? What if the priest called for the guards? Though before Lucius averted his gaze he thought he could discern the lining around the harmonia the priest carried around his neck. Platinum, it looked like. So he was a worshipper of Phion.

Lucius breathed out. A worshipper of the archon of purity and healing was the best choice out of anyone here to help his broken mind.

"Yes... I am. But uh, actually I was wondering, or... I've just heard some strange things. And after what happened earlier it's gotten worse and I—I don't feel safe."

"From the guards?"

"No, from..." Lucius lowered his voice and looked at the floor. "From a scourge."

He didn't want to look the priest in the eyes. People didn't just mention scourges out in the open, and the silence that followed didn't make things easier.

"You speak of scourges inside a sanctuary of the archons?"

"I know, I—"

"If you are here to pull some kind of prank I would advise you to—"

"No, I'm not! It was really there!" Lucius finally looked up. He would not be thrown out. The priest had to help him. "After—After that repulsive display at the gallows it approached me, saying it'd help me out. It said it could give me power. That... That it could give me the high position in life I deserve."