A Rat's Perspective

"You can only dream about your soulmate. It's so you can already love them when you meet them."

That's what his mother had told Nezumi since he was young. At first, he didn't believe how these things could make him love someone he hasn't actually met for himself. But then again, he was only 12, so no one expected him to fall in love at such an age. His dreams started with the simple things about his so called soulmate.

First it was the light, soft looking texture of their skin, with a red snake-like birthmark that seemed to wrap itself around their cheek, down to their neck, to the possible other clothed places on their body Then, it was the unusual, soft, fluffy looking white hair, that reminded him somewhat of a cloud. The way the light would hit it in the early morning, making it seem as if it was glowing. And then their laugh. It was a soft, carefree, and joyful sound. He wondered if someday it would be himself that caused them to laugh so sweetly.

When he was 14, the dreams had began to tell more about his soulmate, giving him more personal information, rather than looks and voice. First had come the fears. The dream showed glimpses of bees. He assumed they might have been stung as a young child. From another glimpse, he could also gather that they were afraid to loose who they loved and cared for. The next dream he had was about their favorite food. He could almost smell the pastries the dram showed him, imagining their taste. He couldn't blame him for having them as his favorite, they looked delicious, if you asked him.. A later dream showed him that his soulmate favored books, ones on Shakespeare, or some that were more fantasy based, or whatever happened to peek their interest. This made him happy, that his soulmate shared the same love for books as himself.

By the time he was nearly 17, he knew he had hopelessly fallen for this soulmate of his, which he still had yet to meet. There wasn't a thing he hadn't come to love about them. The way their red mark crept around their body, the way their soft white hair glowed with the early morning, a bit messy from their slumber. The sweet soft sound of their laugh when they were happy, or their love for pastries that their mother made them. Their passion for books, no matter what kind they were. There wasn't wasn't a single thing not to love about them, was what he decided. His only uncertainty was if his soulmate would even like him, much less love him in return.