Chapter 5

Luckily, Reece knew how to save the day.

"What are you two doing here?" he asked flatly turning to his twin and acknowledging Brady with a nod.

With the break in tension, Evey took the opportunity to straighten her slumped shoulders and took a couple of steps back, in line with Reece.

"Mom and Maggie are at the hotel," Rebecca said with a slight cock of her head. "I needed a break," she added, casting a nanosecond glance at Evey.

"That's good," Reece nodded. "You do look a bit tired. Try to take it easy, sis." He turned his attention to Evey and extended his arm. "Shall we?" he asked.

Grateful for the escape, she accepted. "Yes, we shall," she said.

"Where are you headed anyway?" Reece asked before walking away.

"Doc Bee's," Rebecca said, gazing up at Brady who remained a unflinching stone statue, his nostrils slightly flared, those green eyes flat and cold yet Evey saw something kindling, flickering in the deep pools of green. "I talked Brady into taking me out for cinnamon gelato. Just like old times."

A pang of jealously shot through Evey as she watched Rebecca string a perfectly pale delicate arm through Brady's wide spread sun-darkened muscled arms, his hands on his hips. She shook the jealousy away. You have no right to feel that way, she told herself.

"Get out," Reece said. "That's where we're headed. What a coincidence."

"It's a small world," Brady said, monotone. Evey saw that it was obvious he'd rather be anywhere but there.

"We can walk together," Reece said.

Although no one agreed verbally, Rebecca and Brady fell in line with Reece and Evey once they started walking. After a small period of silence, Reece spoke up.

"Evey was telling me over dinner that she's a sculptor," Reece said. It was a random conversation offering and was received as such. Neither Rebecca nor Brady gave a reply.

"In college, Reece," Evey said, playing it down. "I took a sculpting class in college," she said by way of explanation. And never touched clay again after my parents died, she thought sadly.

"Don't be so modest," Reece said. "I think sculpting is truly an art everyone can appreciate. Transforming a lump of nothing into a work of art? It's incredible."

Evey blushed. She had enjoyed sculpting; it was a great way to relax and to channel her creative energy into something positive. But she didn't do it anymore and that was that. Ands wanted the focus of conversation on anyone but her.

Brady and Rebecca remained silent as they walked. She almost wished Brady would say something. She could feel his anger radiated towards her. What an idiot she'd been to talk about Brady in front of Reece... to talk about Brady at all. He had reason to be upset with her, she reasoned. Here she was, moving in on his territory, so to speak. And then he overhears her talking about him behind his back. Way to go, Evey!

"I've got a great idea," Reece said, snapping his fingers. "Every summer the town hosts free or low-cost classes in our local parks. You could offer a sculpting class."

Evey started to protest but Reece continued. "Oh, it'd be a great way for you to meet people and to tell them about your new business."

Brady coughed, a startled sound. Evey looked up and he locked eyes with her.

She broke away from him and turned to Reece. "I - just couldn't," she said. "I wouldn't know how to teach a class on sculpting anyway."

They'd reached Dr. Tellerbee's, a cute square of a building with glass walls all around, decorated in black and white with curly white wrought iron tables and chairs, like an old fashioned ice cream parlor.