Chapter 19

"Sold!" Evey proclaimed after spending an obscene amount of time looking at a stack of folded antique quilts. She decided to purchase all twelve because they were unique and she figured that having extras for colder days wasn't a bad idea. Truth be told, although this was a business shopping trip only, there was one special cream and cornflower blue quilt with scalloped edges that she secretly coveted for her own bed.

The owner of "Not-So-Seedy Antiques" was, as Evey learned, Pamela Winston whose husband, Pal owned "The Seedy Bar." They were very different people, as Pamela had been explaining to Evey earlier that morning while poring over decorative tea sets, but like the saying goes, opposites attract as they did for Pal and Pamela. Evey had felt her heart tense up just then.

All day, while picking out tables, chairs, rugs and brass items for the kitchen, Evey had felt a sense of disappointment. This was the moment that she had truly waited for. When she first arrived in Watermelon Cove and had her appointment with Angela the next morning, she had looked into the antique store, knowing full well that she wouldn't buy a thing until she was completely sure that the farmhouse was hers. Now that it was, this was supposed to be her moment in the sun. But she didn't feel the supreme sense of satisfaction that she had expected. A part of her felt empty. 

She knew that Brady was leaving today. At Angela's office, after she had reluctantly signed the papers, he made plans to check on the watermelons before he left and give Evey advice for choosing a winner and who to call to pick it up for the contest. 

She, almost desperately, wanted to believe that after Brady left and had been gone a while, things would change as far as how she felt. Right now, it was as if her heart was on hold. She was aware of all of the wonderful things in life and wanted to feel them again but it was almost as if she just couldn't temporarily access her heart. At least, she hoped it was temporarily. 

Pamela helped her pick out a nice selection of mis-matched picture frames that she promised would "get along together nicely" on a wall. Evey had no doubt they would. Earlier that morning, she had gone back to the library and visited Sophia who had pulled, from the digital archives, copies of photos of the farmhouse, back when it was under Cora Casteel's meticulous care. Most of the photos were taken due to the charity luncheons that Cora would hold on the great lawn. Evey had taken the photos to the local pharmacy which offered photo printing. While selecting the perfect photos of the house to be displayed, they had given Evey the great idea to continue Cora's tradition of charity luncheons. According to the newspaper articles attached to the photographs that Sophia had located, Cora's favorite charities were those for animals and Evey thought it might do her a world of good to come into the house with something of in honor of Cora's spirit. She had made a mental note to talk to Reece about bringing up the luncheon idea at the next entrepreneur meeting.

Pamela now led Evey to a back room to show her one last thing. Which was a good thing, Evey thought, as she was about at the end of the small savings that she had set aside specifically for decorating the interior. After agreeing with Pamela that the farmhouse could not be without the assortment of brass oil lamps that the antique store owner had been saving for the right person, Evey had her purchases rang up and made plans with Pamela for the delivery of the bigger items.

"My son, Percy can deliver the four poster bed frames tomorrow, if the afternoon works for you," she said, handing Evey her receipt.

"That works fine," Evey said as she signed for the large bill. By tomorrow afternoon, Brady would be gone and she would be glad to have her mind distracted as much as possible.

"Let me help you with those bags," Pamela said, nodding at the four overflowing bags Evey had at her feet.

"Good Morning, Pammy darling!"