Chapter 17

Kajal woke up early that day despite it being a weekend. She normally slept in but she awoke early today. The minute she opened her eyes, she remembered the kiss and automatically felt a smile form on her lips. She then shook herself out of it. She didn't need this. It was just a one off event. Not something she was going to pursue. "Stop smiling, you idiot! This isn't like you." she berated herself as she walked out of the room and took a sharp breath as she saw Naina fixing herself a cup of coffee in the kitchen.

"Naina! Baby I love you but if you don't start announcing yourself before your arrival, I will have to write you off my will."

Naina chuckled and handed her a cup. They walked to the living room as Naina said, "Well then don't come crying to me when I become a world famous botanist."

She pulled Naina's hair playfully and asked, "So how were your exams?"

"As good as could be. I went to this amazing after-exam party and Nikhil was there. We danced!"

Kajal saw Naina's eyes twinkle at the mention of Nikhil and laughed. Naina patted her sister's knee and said, "Yeah yeah I know. I like him. What am I still doing with the wrong guy? Bleh! Forget about me. Let's talk about you! Now that Mr. Neighbour is single and already mingling. "

Kajal muttered under her breath, "Er...he kissed me." And quickly took a sip of her coffee.

Naina asked blankly, "What? I didn't hear you."

She knew there was no way around it. She set the cup down and looked at her sister squarely in the eyes and said, "I called him for a walk last night."

Naina widened her eyes gleefully and went, "And you let me prattle on about exams and stuff? Gah! I need to dig information out of you! Okay tell me more. And as always, leave nothing out!"

Towards the end of the story, Naina asked disappointedly, "Wait, that's it? He dropped you at your door and walked away?"

Kajal wanted to bug her sister so she gave her an edited version. Then she saw her sad face and backtracked. With a slightly red face, she said, "Uh no...that's not all actually."

Naina shifted closer excitedly and asked, "Ugh tell me already! What else???"

Kajal replied haltingly, "He...uh...kissed me."

Naina clung onto her sister's arms from the sides and went, "Shut up! Oh my God! Now this is more like it! How was it?"

Kajal smiled at the memory. Naina caught the look and jumped up and down a bit on the sofa. She asked gleefully, "That good?"

Kajal replied, "Yeah...good isn't the adjective I would use."

Naina hit her on the shoulder and asked, "What adjective would you use then?"

After a moment's thought, she answered, "Knee-melting? Does that count?"

Naina sighed and said, "I'll allow it. Man, I'm jealous. I've never had one of those!"

Then she looked at her sister seriously and asked, "So what now?"

Kajal looked at her blankly and asked, "What do you mean?"

She exhaled and replied exasperatedly, "So what are we going to do about this? Are you waiting for him to make the next move or what?"

Kajal picked up the empty coffee cups and walked into the kitchen. Naina followed doggedly and persisted, "Stop avoiding me. Please tell me you intend to pursue this."

Kajal rinsed the cups and put them back in the drawer. Then she heaved herself onto her clean, black counter and said firmly, "Naina, I am not looking for a relationship. Especially with someone whose last name is also a blank in my head. I told you this."

Naina surveyed her and Kajal frowned. She had known her sister to fly off the handle at such times. She was taking this surprisingly well. This time, she pulled up the kitchen stool and sat on it. She looked up at her sister and said with patience, "Kajal, I know what this is all about. What happened with Sumeet happened 3 years ago. I love you and I hated what happened to you then but you need to let that go. This is the first time I am seeing you blush over a guy after that episode. Give it a chance."

Kajal looked away from her sister and stared out the window. There was no point in digging up the past. She lived in the present and enjoyed where she was and what she had accomplished for herself. But she also didn't know what to do today. Naina poked her out of her reverie. She blinked and said, "What do you want me to do, Naina? March up to his door and ask him out?"

She saw Naina break into a Cheshire cat-like grin and she smacked her forehead. She went, "What is wrong with you? I was joking! I am not actually going to do something that absurd."

Naina frowned and said, "Why the hell not?"

Kajal shot back, "We don't even know if he likes me."

Naina burst out laughing and said, "He kissed you last night! What more do you need? A sandwich board around him as he walks on Juhu beach proclaiming he likes you? Or hold a heart-shaped balloon with your name on it?"

At that, they both sat laughing for the next five minutes trying to picture that happening. It was just the funniest thing imagining Vikramaditya doing that.

Naina recovered from the bout of laughter and pulled Kajal to the door. As she dragged her, she said, "Come on! It's now or never."

Kajal slapped her hands away and said, "Are you crazy? I am not doing that!"

And yet a couple of days later, she found herself standing in front of his door. She trusted her decision to do this better than her usual gut feeling of not paying heed to crushes. This had better be worth it.

She raised her hand and knocked on the door. She waited with a smile on her face and thought to herself that she would be seeing him again after that day and although it might be weird, it was good weird. That was a sign right?

Mr.Joshi opened the door adjacent to hers and walked out with Mrs.Joshi. Kajal smiled at them both and said, "Hello! Off for a walk?"

Mr.Joshi replied, "Yes of course. This one right here likes to go for a brisk walk every day at precisely this hour every day. It's like clockwork. Anyway, Kajal ji, what are you doing here?"

She pointed at the door and said, "Oh um I was actually looking for Vikramaditya. He lives here right? Or am I getting the apartment wrong again?"

Mr.Joshi nodded and replied, "Yes that's the one. What do you mean by "getting it wrong again"?"

Kajal remembered her "fake fiancée" blooper and shook her head quickly to say, "Nothing. I will see you another time then. You must be getting late for your walk."

As she made her way to climb down the stairs, Mr.Joshi called her name and said, "He's vacated the flat."

Kajal stopped dead in her tracks and turned around. She asked faintly, "What? Who?"

"Vikramaditya sir. He handed over his keys to me yesterday. The house was in his friend's name anyway. So I couldn't say much."

She mumbled more to herself, "He's...gone?"

Mr.Joshi looked her sympathetically and said, "Yes."

Author'sNote: YeahI came back with Chapter 17 on popular demand. :D I know what you're thinking.Well, I think I know what you're thinking. All I can say right now is...I know! Will keep you guys posted about these two. Until then! - S