Chapter 10: Truth and Lies

Chapter 10

Estela sat across from him, watching him intently, patiently waiting for him to cooperate with the little plan she had brewing in her mind. Tom looked down at her with narrowed eyes, giving her a look that told her she was impossible, but she arched a brow in response as though she merely agreed.

"You can't be serious," he said, his voice dripping with disdain.

"Oh I'm very serious." She said. "Take a seat."

Tom continued to stare at her in incredulity. "I'm not-"

"Sit." She said smoothly, cutting his sentence short. It made him wince in anger, but he tried to control it.

"If you think-"

"Sit." She repeated, her tone harsher this time, but just as calm.

Tom shot her a look of warning that would have sent any of his Death Eaters running with their tail between their legs. But not her. She didn't even flinch. She just continued to watch him patiently. He didn't know if he was annoyed or impressed.

Finally, he waved his hand and one of the broken chairs that lay in pieces on the ground flew back together and mended its self in an instant. He unwillingly sat down opposite her with a heavy sigh and regarded her curiously, his fingers tapping on the arm of the chair in a melody of impatience.

Her expression was hard but intriguing, and there was a curiously wonderful spark in her grey eyes that made him want to know exactly what was running through her remarkable mind.

"It's fair to say we've had our differences, our fair share of arguments, and have nearly killed each other once or twice." She said with a humorous tone. "But from now on, we're going to cooperate. From now on, we're going to start communicating with each other."

Tom let out a long sigh. But she simply grinned at him, sly and lovely.

"Now first off let's begin with an exercise I like to call telling the truth. It's very simple, simple enough I'm sure that even you'll manage to follow." Tom glowered. "Tell me what memory you want from me."

"If you think you can-"

"Answer the question." She snapped with a winning smile.

Tom had to bite his tongue to prevent himself from swearing at her. If she thought she could use this as an excuse to get information out of him she could think again.

"What game are you playing?"

She clucked her tongue sarcastically. "It's not a game. I'm sick of us being so secretive all the time. You say you want me to work with you, but how do you expect me to do that when all you do is lie?" She asked. "Why do you feel the need to force information out of me with a memory potion rather than just asking for it? Has it ever crossed your mind that I might actually give it to you if you just asked?"

He considered her carefully, trying to blank out the way she spoke to him with such a fearless challenge dancing gracefully between each of her words. He had to focus on her really hard to calm himself, and he noticed that she sat there watching him equally as close, her misty eyes scanning his face with a look of guarded sincerity. She pushed a strand of her dark hair behind her ear and waited, raising a brow at him as though she was urging him to hurry up as though he was wasting her precious time.

Unbelievable girl.

"I want the memory I saw the night you left." He said cautiously, watching her very closely, but she hid any flicker of emotion extremely well. As he spoke the words, he had to force away the tiny flash of the past that pushed its way to the surface. The night he let her slip through his fingers. "The memory of my future – where you saw me as Lord Voldemort."