What You Need to Know about Wattpad - yabookprincess

What You Need To Know About Wattpad

yabookprincess 

There is so much about writing which can't be learned overnight. You have to constantly study, be open to constructive criticism and work – hard. I know it may seem like an easy task to do; sit behind your computer and just let the words fall out.

As an author on Wattpad and someone who has over 23 thousand followers, the pressure of writing could definitely felt. The more followers you get, the more you feel like you should be better, update more frequently and the less time you have.

Frequent updates

The more people enjoy your books, the more they will want you to update. But sometimes updating every single day results in less reads. So, updating once or twice a week is often more recommended and it gives you time to focus on your life instead of just Wattpad.

Hate

After your books start to get attention, the good comments are often followed by the bad ones. And sometimes, it's hard. You have to remind yourself that these people aren't attacking you, they're just talking about the book. While their comments might not be the nicest, they probably didn't know how to express themselves and give some constructive criticism.

Often, writers make excuses like this and often some of them even get a bit discouraged from writing but fear not, there are also good things about Wattpad. Because most of the time, there are more good comments than bad so don't get discouraged and don't give up.

Make friends.

Wattpad is a lot easier when you make friends. It's a much nicer place. You can either message someone or read their book and comment or just post on their profile. Possibilities are endless. It's a lot more fun when you have somebody to talk to.

Be nice to everybody.

Wattpad is often a place where people choose to go in order to escape their reality. You don't know them, you don't know their life story or what they're going through. Be kind to everybody and make their day.

Instead of posting hate, post constructive criticism

Most people on Wattpad probably never heard of constructive criticism. It's where you point out the flaws of the book – nicely, may I add – and suggest on how the person can improve. Keep in mind that most authors worked hard on their stories to make them the best they can so you should also appreciate the effort they put into their books.

Writer's block

Every writer gets one eventually and every writer has different methods when it comes to getting rid of it. For me, that's watching TV shows, reading more books, listening to music,... anything that can inspire me. I most often decide to edit my books when I'm uninspired or when I don't feel like writing. But the only way I can get out of a writer's block is by forcing myself to sit down and write.

Length of your chapters

Your chapters can be as long as you want, but I suggest nothing less than 1000 words – it's too short for a book that isn't a Short Story. I usually write between 1500-2500 words.

MID – Motivation, Inspiration, Determination

Motivation

I know it's hard to get motivated to write something so just take a notebook and write down goals for your books. Keep them realistic. For example, you want to get 100 reads in a month. There is a fair chance of something like that happening. And after that, just keep aiming higher and higher. Set a goal for yourself to finish a book by the end of the year. Or something like that. Make goals, they'll motivate you to keep writing.

Inspiration

Inspiration is a tricky thing. Either you're inspired or you're not. I usually take a notebook with me wherever I go and whenever I get an idea, I write it down. That way, I never forget an idea and when I get home, I try to develop it and it makes me really inspired to write. But some days, the writing flow just doesn't come but that's okay.

Determination

Be determined, don't give up. As hard as it may seem, writing gives you beautiful results in the end – something you can be proud of. Whether that's finishing a book or reaching a goal you've set for yourself, it doesn't matter. As long as you're determined, motivated and inspired, nothing can stop you.

So, this is all I have to tell you. Inspire and be inspired, love and be loved. Write and don't give up. Don't be afraid to dream or turn that dream into a reality.

Desirae Clark (@yabookprincess) is a Wattpad author of Watty award-winning novel called My Badboy Neighbour which is the first book in the Good Girl series. Her hobbies include book hoarding and reading multiple hours per day – sometimes even staying up all night to finish that 'one more chapter'.