Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

I woke the next morning feeling very well rested. I sighed contently and snuggled closer into my replacement pillow- the bare chest of Taylor Elliott. His chest was warm and felt like a place of belonging.

I felt his arms tighten around me, and then I knew that he knew I was awake. He stroked my face and hair, waiting for me to look up at him.

I smiled, kept my eyes closed, and kissed up his chest, across his collarbone, under his neck, over his jaw, until I finally reached his lips. I gave him more of a 'good morning' kiss, opposed to the ones we'd shared yesterday.

"Good morning," I whispered as I pulled my face back to look at his. Had he always been so beautiful? His brown hair was messy from sleeping, and I wound my fingers through it as I stretched my arms.

"And good morning to you," - he pecked my lips - "my love."

"Oh, so you've forgotten my name after only one night spent together? Don't I feel loved?" I said sarcastically. I knew what he'd meant. I actually felt flattered by what he'd said.

He mocked a gasp, "Oh, I know. Such a scandal! Sleeping with a pregnant lady. What will the rumours say?!" He laughed and kissed me lightly.

His lips lingered on mine and I mumbled out a response. I thought I might as well have a shot at what I was contemplating last night.

"You know," I said as I ran my hands across his chest, "it wouldn't be considered a scandal if people were led to believe it was your baby." Was this too soon? How was he going to react? Well, I was about to find out.

His body suddenly froze, "Wait, what?"

I took a deep breath. "I was just wondering... maybe you could be a dad to the baby, seeing as the actual father is on the other side of the country..." I trailed off, wondering if I'd said too much.

He pulled me tight against him and pulled my face level with his. "I wouldn't have it any other way," he whispered as he pulled my mouth to his. The kiss continued longer than what I'd expected, and soon enough, a third party interceded.

I felt a jolt through my body - like somebody punching me from the inside. I was close - it was the baby kicking.

I pulled away from the kiss, sitting upright and marvelled over the sensation I'd grown to love. As the baby continued to kick, I began to think... Was it kicking because it had just gained a father figure?

"What's wrong?" Taylor asked, putting his hands over mine which were clutched to my abdomen.

"No, it's nothing," I said, pulling a wide smile, "bub's just kicking. Must know that when it comes out, it's going to have both a mummy AND a daddy." I looked at him with loving eyes.

Before either of us could say anymore, my bedroom door burst open, revealing the figure of my stepmother.

I mentally groaned. Did she have to ruin this most perfect of moments?

She walked towards us. She didn't seem angry that Taylor was here, instead, she seemed happy that he'd stayed the night.

"Quick guys; get dressed," she said, smiling, "Nas, your dad wants to speak with Taylor."

She grinned and walked back out the door.

"Aww, crap!" I whimpered.

"Why would he want to speak to me?" Taylor asked, confused.

"He'll probably yell at you for being with me or something," I whispered, miserable.

"No, he won't," he said as he put his arms around me, "Didn't you see Becky's face? She was happy. If your dad had been angry, she would have shown anger or frustration." He kissed my cheek, knowing he was right.