8

"Here we are

"Here we are. Home sweet home." Crow says, opening a door to her apartment.

I follow her in as I closed the door and observe her place. The walls are painted dark purple, matching the black carpet and the windows with black drawn curtains.

"It's so... Comfy." I say, unsure what to say about her home. I thought her home will be under the city or out in the forest, instead, she has an apartment and lives in the city. I didn't think it would be that close to the mall.

"Thank, I tried my best to make my home comfy for me and my guests." She puts down her purse on a black couch with purple designs on it  in the living room, walking around the coffee table that's in front of the couch. A large... TV? There's a huge TV on the wall above the selves of books and DVD cases. I never see that size of the TV before and I am pretty awed by it.

"How could you afford this huge TV?" I ask her, looking at the black screen to see the reflection of the room and us.

"Okay, that's a weird question, but whatever. I got this baby for free." She answers.

"How?" I'm confused. There's no way she could get this big TV for free.

"I'm in the werewolf pack, actually."

"What? Really?" I am shocked and surprised that she's in the pack. I never thought that vampire can be in the werewolf pack. That's interesting.

"I'll tell you when I do your hair. Follow me." Her voice lowers as she picks up a small bag with hair supplies in it.

She walks into the bathroom next to the living room while I follow her, wondering why she have lowered her voice like there's something wrong. The white and creamy bathroom is large, enough to fit six or more people in it. There's a bathtub with a shower above it, a sink, a toilet, and a counter that has make up, dark nail polishes, and hair dye containers on it. She sets the bag next to that, walks out, walks back in a few seconds later with a chair for me to sit on. I sit on it in front of the sink, looking at the reflection on the mirror.

"I have joined them many years ago," She begins, taking out the blue dye container. "And they accepted me. We vampires have soul mates as well. I met my soulmate two thousand years ago when I was only sixteen years old.  We were happy together. He always had my back when I needed him the most. He was the most handsomest man that I ever seen and he was also the kindest gentleman. That didn't last for a very long time."

"What happened?" I ask, sensing the sad tone setting in her voice as she start applying the dye to my hair. I didn't mean to be nosy, but I feel like I should know what had happened between her and her soulmate. I feel like I should listen her story.

"It was three hundred years later, when the first world werewolves and vampires war. WWVWI for short. And that war completely changed my husband. After the war was over, he came home and I ran to him. I was crying of joy, happy to see him home safe and sound. But, when he walked past me like I was nothing, I realized that he had changed. His hate for werewolves had gotten worse. Everyday, I would hear him cussing and saying bad things about them. I wasn't a big fan of werewolves, but I saw who he truly was. The war had brought out the bad side of him. The monster in him had taken over his body, mind, and soul. He stopped loving me, started treating me like I was a trash. My love for him had died..."

"I'm sorry." That's what I could say.

"That's not what I'm worried about." She continues, putting the empty bowl away. "There's something much worse."

"What's that?"  I wait patiently as she's quiet for a few moments.  The folded up foil pieces are  sticking to my hair, keeping the dye in them.

"He wanted to kill them all." She replies softly and gently, so low that I need to use my heighten hearing. I blink at her, my mouth opening to show how shocked I am. "Many years later, another war came. It was WWVWII. That war, he took me to there.  He wanted to show me that werewolves were evil and they should not be here. They were mistakes, he had said. And... I believed him. I was still young and I wasn't always a bright girl. He took me to the battleground. I remembered like it was yesterday. Blood were everywhere, old rotten and freshly new dead bodies were everywhere, screams of pain, anger, hate, and sadness.  The sky was dark red like the earth's ground, dead trees, no water or food. Then, I saw it.

"A lone baby laid near its' mother, crying and whimpering. Its' mother was dead, her chest was ripped apart and you could see everything. It broke my heart and I had decided to save this baby. But my mate wouldn't let me.  He told me it was just a weak werewolf pup, waiting to die sometime soon. I didn't listen to him. I ran and..."

I watch as a lone tear runs down on her cheek on the mirror. I feel terrible for her that she have to see all of that at the young age. Vampires don't age like humans and they will remember every details of their life, the horrible moments and the happiest ones. I wish to go back to the past and change all of that. Make her gets sick and stay home. Change her soulmate to someone else. But I know you can't change the past. It was already way back then.

"He had hurt me." She sighs. "He torn my neck off with his fangs and left me for dead. I was still alive, missing a chuck of my neck. I was slowly bleeding to death, gasping for air, and was feeling afraid. I couldn't believe he did that to me. Did that to his own lover, wife, and soulmate. It wasn't long until one of the wolf found me and brought me back to its' pack. This wolf, he's really nice. His name was Everbird Armstrong. He also had a healer that healed and nursed me back to heal. Too bad I can't remember her name. She didn't stay around for very long. So, Everbird was the Alpha and he let me stayed with his pack. They accepted me like I was one of them, even though I'm a vampire and they're wolves.

"I never saw my mate again after that war. I know he's out there, somewhere far away from the wolves. I know it, because I can still feel him..."

Crow looks down, seems to be deep in thoughts. I don't know what to say. I have no words to tell her about her past. Instead, I grab her arms and stand up as I pull her into a hug. She tenses, but when I rub her back, she gives out a sigh and relaxes.

"Well, at least you're still alive." I say, finally finding the words to say.

"Yeah...  I guess..." She wipes away her tears after I let go of her. "Let's check on that hair."

Now, you know about Crow's past. But she never said exactly who her mate was. Got any clues? Why she say that "he had" like he's dead when she also said that "he's out there somewhere"? What did really happened to her soulmate at the first war that made him different?
Song: Roots by In This Moment
Comment, vote, share, and others. Thanks. :)
~Ghostwolf1999
Edited: January 21, 2019