huit

[TW: alcohol]

"Shit. What the fuck have I done?" I growled as I slumped back on Francine's sofa. "It's been 2 hours and I've looked everywhere and I've been calling her nonstop and she hasn't picked up and I don't know where she is and fuck I'm going crazy," I cried, my head between my hands.

Francine sits next to me, her arms wrapped around my shoulders. "Hey, it'll be all right. Just give it some time."

"I just... what if something bad happens to her? I'll never forgive myself. I didn't even let her explain."

"She might be at Juliet's, you know."

My heart physically hurts at her words. "No, she wouldn't do that to me. She wouldn't. Can you try calling her again, please?"

"Look at me."

Sobbing, I comply, and look into her familiar blue eyes with my green ones.

"Just give it some time. What will be, will be, okay?"

"Thank you for always being there for me, France. I don't know what I'd do without you."

She smiles. "Do you want to drink?"

"You know I don't drink."

"Maybe you could make an exception tonight."

"No, thank you."

"I insist."

"I don't drink—"

Out of absolutely nowhere, she leans forward and captures my lips between hers. Shocked and admittedly nostalgic, I gently push her away and move farther from her.

"What was that?" I ask as I wipe my lips with the back of my hand.

Tears form in her eyes and she buries her face in her hands. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Lauren."

"I don't understand what's happening. Why'd you kiss me? What the hell, Francine?"

She looks at me with her eyes almost as red as mine. "Don't you get it? You're so fucking blind."

"Wha—I don't understand."

"I still love you, okay? I never stopped loving you. I want you back—heck, I need you back. I—I've loved you longer than Alessandra has, and it's so fucking unfair. And I'm so sorry. I—I thought I'd feel good after all of this, but seeing you—"

"Wait, what are you talking about? What do you—"

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't know it would be like this—" she tries to hold my hand, but I stand up and move away.

"What the hell is going on?!"

Guiltily, she looks down on her hands. "It was all me, okay? It was all me. She was innocent. I... I took her flowers before they reached you, I told you she was with Juliet when she wasn't, I distracted her from you as much as I could, I—"

"Screw you," I curse at her before I walk out of her place.

The last words I hear from her are, "She told me it would work."

Spending every second trying to call Alessandra, I walk going home for over an hour.

"Alessandra, baby, please call me back. Let me explain. I'm so fucking sorry. Please just tell me where you are. I need know if you're safe. Just please be safe," I desperately beg, knowing that my message would be sent to voicemail anyway.

The pain in my chest arouses my urge to screw up my life and destroy myself and give up. As I walk home, I silently curse at the bars and clubs practically begging me to go inside. If I don't get myself together, I'm going to relapse. My mind is too full of Alessandra to even think about him.