vingt et un

'I know you're a believer of hard determinism, but if you're free tonight, can you make an exception and choose to go out with me? I have a few gifts to bribe you with just in case my incredible pick up lines don't work. <3'

Chuckling at how nerdy my girl is, I picked up the little card and the book Man's Search for Meaning that came with it, and hugged it to my chest.

Laid down beside it on the bed, which was covered in rose petals, was a paperbag with another card that said:

'I know you can't really make up your mind when it comes to most things (esp movies 🙄), but I'm glad you chose to (lip)stick with me despite everything.'

I opened the bag, and I literally gasped in surprise. Inside was basically a raided MAC store. From lip liners to brushes to glow kits to eye shadow palettes, they were all there. Yup, I'm the luckiest girl alive.

With the biggest grin on my face, I moved to the last gift on our bed.

'You might be thinking, "Does this gorgeous and sexy and perfect girl think that buying a book and a bunch of expensive makeup is going to work on a strong and independent woman like me?"

Though I know it's obviously going to work because you kind of love makeup and books and me, I did a thing because I love you more. No clues in the letter because it's a surprise. I'll pick you up tonight? I love you. :)'

Curious yet absolutely excited, I set aside the note, and opened the black box in front of me. Inside was a rectangular book with a sticky note that says:

'No one probably makes scrapbooks anymore, but I know how much you love to keep every little memorable thing. You're not the only one who does that, my love. Here's my perspective. I love you.'

My heart is melting, was all I could think while I had the biggest smile stuck to my face.

I undid the ribbon on the elegant white scrapbook, and I was greeted by a selfie that we took from the first day we met. Adorable as usual, Lauren had her tongue stuck out at the camera, while I had my lips puckered at her direction, as if I were about to kiss her cheek. I remembered when we were sat at the library after I bought her coffee. I don't think I'll ever forget the last words she said to me that day before we parted ways:

"Can we take a picture? You know, just in case you wanna brag that you sort of went out with me today."

Remembering Lauren's arrogance, I laughed to myself. I turned to the next pages, and found more photographs of us, surrounded by little handwritten annotations and doodles, with a few memorabilia like tickets and receipts stuck to the sides.

From tickets from our first movie date, to a stolen photograph of me during a random coffee date, to lengthy journal entries of seemingly arbitrary days, she really put an effort into making everything come together. She compiled all the little things from our almost 1 year of officially dating each other.

On the last page was a handwritten letter.

To my favorite singer,

I'm not good with letters. I'm better at math and the law and loving you. So um how do I start?

You're probably wondering why I put in so much effort when today may not seem like a special occasion, since our official anniversary is still a few months from now. Well, this day last year, a really beautiful girl treated me to coffee because she had the biggest crush on me and she secretly wanted to go out with me. I mean, I had to give her a chance, right? (I love you hehe.) As cheesy as it may sound, my life started that day. I have never really been a believer of love at first sight and cliché things like that, but I swear (and don't laugh at me) I felt sparks when I first met you. You were different. And for the first time, that was okay. You made me dumb and awkward yet whole and happy, and man, I'm so in love with you it's crazy. I'm writing letters for you, loser. And we haven't even had sex yet! I haven't had sex in AN ENTIRE YEAR because of you. And I'm actually fine with it. I'm willing to wait. I stopped caring a long time ago about how long I had to wait.