Chapter 5: Dirty Dancing

We finished breakfast and not long after, Billy came over with a few file boxes of records for Ethan and I to go through

We finished breakfast and not long after, Billy came over with a few file boxes of records for Ethan and I to go through. He also was a little giddy to 'have a turn with me tomorrow.'

The documents were spread out over the coffee table while 'Scream 2' played on the television. I had decided that I wanted to watch all the 'Scream' movies, which I found absurdly entertaining.

Ethan was not impressed, though. The whole time he was so frustrated with the main character. He would furrow his brows and his eyes would swirl slightly before he would turn to me and say something like, 'This isn't even scary. If that were you, that guy would be dead in like five seconds,' or 'Really? You had no idea he was standing right there!?'

I think I had more fun watching Ethan watch the movies than watching them myself.

The paperwork was dull lists of black and white ink on computer paper, patrol logs from three months prior to the attack. All the patrol logs. There were boxes of them, this was before everything was logged into a computer, so we were stuck swimming in a sea of paper that had not proved useful yet. I kept trying to find patterns or make connections that would be meaningful, but I found nothing but black-and-white letters and numbers on bright white computer paper.

I sat back and rubbed my forehead as my eyes started to grow tired of looking at the spreadsheets and spreadsheets of paper. My mind couldn't but wander, wander to that place. The place they were killed–the memory.

My beast stirred as we remembered Lucas talking to us along with Eli and Chris. It sent chills down my spine, chills that Ethan seemed to pick up on.

He looked at my with a brow raised in concern as he set his highlighter down. "Sunshine?"

I sighed and shook my head. "I just, what Levi said about the tree. I guess it's just–it's all crazy."

Ethan stilled and nodded. He scooted over to me on the floor while he reached for a pillow and put it in his lap, patting the space with a soft smile. I sighed and complied as he scooped my hair out of the way so he could play with it.

"I know, but it makes so much sense now. I've felt it brewing for a while."

"Really?"

Ethan sighed and looked at me with tired wary eyes as his lips twitched into a sad half-smile. "Yes, for a while, before you came I've felt uneasy. After you showed up it got better, and I thought that was it. I thought it was because you were close.

"But then when Levi talked about dad being unsettled, I don't know, it made sense. I've definitely felt it, I just didn't want to admit it to myself before. I knew before the tree, I knew it had to be done, but it was like what I saw solidified that for me."

I nodded as my brain began to swirl. "Do you think they would talk back?"

Ethan cocked his head, thinking for a quick moment before shrugging. "I don't know. Did you try before?"