Chapter 28: Everette

___ 

Ethan 

_____

We ran with the pack behind us, our pack, through the forest and towards the tree. The tree that was humming to me. The tree that was swaying as if it was moved by a heavy wind when there was none. The tree that changed it all.

The tree.

I found a burrow and dug out some clothes for Charlotte and I. My fingers pulled on some sweatpants, my fingers that were covered still in blood. In his blood.

Evan tossed me a water bottle that I opened quickly and poured over my hands while Charlotte tossed on a large t-shirt. I wouldn't taint that tree with anymore of his blood.

I wiped my hands on my sweatpants as Charlotte walked to me with a warm smile on her face. My lips found her, locking her in a hot kiss that tasted as sweet as the day was.

"I'm so proud of you," she breathed out.

"Baby we did this together," I said while pushing a dirty piece of hair out of her face. She leaned into my palm and purred a little. I kissed her again when Evan walked up.

I turned and hugged him tight to me. He blinked hard then nodded to me with a half smile. "I think the ear was a nice touch, Eli would have approved."

I let out a sharp laugh and nodded as more wolves filed in. "I know, I thought that too."

"Ethan!" Evangeline called out as she ran to me. I caught her and hugged her tight to me while she sniffled back hot tears.

"Red, don't cry, you don't need to cry," I murmured to her.

"I'm just so happy," she sniffled out. "I'm so proud of you," she sniffled out again. I nodded to Liam who gave my good shoulder a light squeeze before I let Evangeline return to him.

Levi walked up with silver eyes that were softer, almost sad as they looked at me. He marched to me and hugged me to him, tight like I was going to disappear. "I'm proud of you Ethan."

"I couldn't have without you, uncle."

Levi nodded. "I love you son, you did good today. You made your dad and brother real proud today."

My heart twisted at the thought of them; my beast whined out because there was nothing he would have liked more than for them to be there today.

I nodded back to him before he let me go and hugged Charlotte. He murmured things against her hair then kissed her crown as the pack filed in.

The tree was swaying a little more. Charlotte walked over to Lyanna and Evangeline, who both rubbed her cheek before she looked back at me. "Go, what are you waiting for?"

My feet carried me to her so I could kiss her one last time. "This, I was waiting for this," I breathed against her lips.

"I love you, Ethan," she said before she kissed me again.

"I love you too sunshine," I replied against her forehead before I kissed it too.

My feet carried me away from her and to Levi who nodded to the tree that hummed a little louder to me. Evan trotted up and fell in step next to me, my beta. His place would always be next to me, always.

Billy walked up and stood across from Levi, handing him a knife before giving my uninjured shoulder a light squeeze. "I'm proud of you son, your dad would have been so proud of you."

"Thanks, Billy," I replied while Levi opened the knife.

He handed it to me, handle first and nodded. "You know what to do son."