One Shot 2: Colder

⚠️  WARNING ⚠️ : THIS CHAPTER IS FILLED WITH FEEEEEEEEEELS. Not the soft and fluffy kind.

I made some changes. Someone reminded me that Muslims can't drink alcohol, and in the earlier version, I wrote that Karim drank some wine. I'm terribly sorry if I offended any Muslim readers. It really slipped out of my mind, an honest mistake. I hope this slight change is to your approval.😊

I scanned through all the men, finding for a particular face. Alas, all are men, so I tried finding for a woman, Sahib would definitely be somewhere near her.

I don't understand Sahib sometimes, that ifrit annoys the hell out of him, yet he's always so protective over her. To an extent I kind of understand. That ifrit may be annoying as hell (because that's where ifrits come from), but at the same time, she brings entertainment with her. Not the sort of entertainment a woman of the street provides, she'd start breathing fire, like the ifrit she is, at anyone who dares suggest that. No... Sahib would would freeze the desert with his glare first even before the ifrit can start breathing fire.

The ifrit provides amusement with her antics. As much as I don't like how she crawls under Sahib's skin, many of the men around here find it funny whenever she irritates Sahib. Whenever she aggravates him, Sahib gets pushed to lose his cool demeanour. But since Sahib will never have it in him to really hit or hurt her, his efforts to remain calm are akin to someone having all their teeth pulled out. Most of the time, he tries to ignore her, but that ifrit is persistent. Scolding her works sometimes, but barely because she'll come back annoying him again soon enough. Then when he's at his wit's very end, in exasperation, he kisses her quiet. That method works for him because that actually quietens the ifrit for a few hours to give him time to gather back his scattered sense of control, and maybe, he also enjoys kissing her. But of course, Sahib's romantic interests are none of my business, unless that ifrit harms him of course.

I continued searching for Sahib, asking the men that passed by. One said he was still back in the cave, that he wanted to be the last to leave.

Judging from the amount of people outside already, he should have been out here by now.

Suddenly, a man ran up to me.

"Karim, Mr Ambrose refused to leave the cave. Right when he managed to climb into the exit hole, the other army of men appeared at the mouth of the cave. His wife was stuck inside the cave with the other army of men. He refused to leave her. I begged him to exit with me and come back for her later. He glared at me and told me to get lost."

As much as all these Egyptian mercenaries are concerned, Lilly was Mr Ambrose's wife. Mr Ambrose trusts those men, but not with the information that she's his secretary.

I knew that ifrit would harm Sahib. She didn't exactly harm Sahib, but she made him more willing to put himself in harm's way for her.

"Alright, I'll go back in through the back exit to get him."

When I was inside, I saw Mr Ambrose crouching low and observing through the hole. I slowly walked to him, not making any noise with my footsteps. Normally, even when I was this silent he could still be able to hear me, even with his back turned. So either he was too distracted with what's happening back down inside the cave to notice me, or he heard me, knew it was me, but was still too distracted by what's happening back down inside the cave.

I crouched down beside him. Still no acknowledgement from him.

"Sahib, we have to go before this army exits the cave and passes by the back exit."