Chapter - 1

Song suggestion: Agar tum sath ho...

Arshita

Everything was vivid, peaceful, and hauling outside the window. I was drifting too, in the wave of it with the pace that wind blew, slow except that people were hauling leaving me behind just like they do, some have to, some choose to. I was not running as I didn't know my destination or didn't seem to know if it was worth it, I was just moving at convenience but there was no life in me, no passion in me. Each minute felt abundant and prolonged. And I was losing.

Sadly, you expect life to furlough without consequence. I wonder why good times pass by like a flip of your finger. And this mind brings much more despondency by reminding you of each happy moment of your life delivering it harder.

The back of my head pricked as I gulped the coffee and the pain, speculating all of it. My eyes lowered to the coffee mug to watch that shitty thing I made. It was the worst coffee I ever made.

I always prepared the best coffee, I think I used to or that's what Ronit made me believe. Before I could turn to turn down the coffee, a ball came from nowhere and hit my hand doing the honors. My cup flew down the balcony and I cried in pain.

"Sorry Arshi Di. Rahul did this di. He did this. "

The boy tried to fend off himself when I could see the offender speak.

I expressed tenderness at their innocence by smiling and passed them their ball picking it from the floor.

" It's OK. But not next time. "

" Thanks, di. "

They all chortled at the same time, in the chorus. At least someone was happy in their life! Somehow it calmed it. I wonder why. I guess it was hope. Hope that carries you, in its lap.

With unacknowledged content discerning happiness around me, I walked to the room when my phone beckoned me.

" Hey, Arshi! Come fast. That handsome spoilt is coming to the office today! " My friend ran through my phone without waiting for a hello.

" What? He was to come tomorrow, right? "

My boss's son was coming back to India from New York.  I never saw him but Piya always said he looked handsome and hot. After completing his MBA from Harvard University, he took over the business in New York which hiked up in a short remarkable year smashing all the former records of booming years. All credit goes to his hard work, dexterity, and acumen as Time Magazine quoted about him.

It was high time. I ran to my bathroom, hastily picking up my towel from the opened drawer as that I have become a super mess, one of the signs of sadness due to early depression pointed by my old and forgotten, shrink. Well, I am sure I am just messy and sad too, but messy.  Taking a fast shower, I stood before my cupboard.

Presentable! I needed to be presentable. My finger went to my mouth and started to bite my nails in confusion, standing in a towel in front of the cupboard.

"Waste. Everything is a waste here. "

I yelled aloud and started to scavenge for the best outfit. At one point I withdrew and sat down on the edge of my bed staring at my messed up racks. I didn't want to get up, dress up but something came up the mind like always and started upon my scavenging all over again. I chose black tight pants and a white blouse. I sighed at the pants but that was all I had in the 'would work' category. I slipped into it and put my hair into a high ponytail with little red lipstick.

It took me another ten minutes to get a taxi. You get tardily when you are in a hurry. They say if you are willing, there is a way. But for me, it goes far away.

I took long but legit strides towards the high-rise building designed extraordinarily with glass cladding.  It stood too high that if one looked up to the top the sun would force one to look down. Maybe that's why I never got to look at it well. Besides that, the building has a wide range of amenities to the pleasure when you are not working. There is a glitch though - you are always working. At present, I didn't seem to appreciate it and just trotted inside and signed in.

"Arshi! He wants to see the staff. Hurry! Thirtieth floor. " Piya fussed in my face coming out of nowhere. She was freaking out.

" He is just our boss. "

I held her both arms which were moving crazily and distracting me. I wish I could tell her there is so many more thing that could go wrong. But on second thought I let her take it on.

" Exactly. " She whispered and silently breathing yelled at me like a bomb bursting after the great silence.

" He is our BOSS! "

I walked past her as I understood it wasn't the time to get her head straight. She followed me still taking heavy breaths.

" Calm down darling! He has just come and called us to see his employees, you know. Usual 'we care about you' show off which every boss does at first. Be cool! " I patted her back and she nodded.

I wanted to be calmed down too with all the rush my head gets into. I wanted someone to pat my back and say 'everything will be fine.' I waved at the thought and looked at all the 'busy at the top of the building's elevator. How come everything goes odd with you? When would this happen to others?

" Arshi, let's take that elevator. " She pulled me toward the reserved elevator.

" Employees not allowed! " I reminded her.

" He motioned me if we want to and damn I want to. "

" Who?"

Whew!

My breathing hitched and my feet went solid. With my pounding heart because of the view before me, I was dragged inside the elevator. How can a particular face make me go crazy? He just saved a fall and asked me if I were okay. A strange pull was taking over my strong heart all over again. It already broke me once and now I was again being clawed under it. I looked at his dazzling sharp feature and my eyes didn't want to go anywhere.

It was him.