Chapter 44: I've Got You

*Alexa Shiffer*

The ride back was horrible. We had all been told that we were to return to school after the questioning and I knew that we were all dreading the interrogations that were guaranteed to be hurled at us as soon as we got back. Still bewildered from the aftermath, the four of us sat in an uncomfortable silence.

I glanced across briefly at the other three sitting with me. Even though Jordan had assured me that I had nothing to worry about or be sorry for, I still couldn't help feeling somewhat guilty. I could have helped, even a little bit, to lessen the pain on the others. I twisted my fingers together in my lap, not being able to calm myself down.

The pace had slackened after everything happening so quickly this morning. I felt like I was waking up from a dream, only to find out that I wasn't really dreaming. Discovering the whole truth about Jasmine, Ethan and even Lucas was so much information to take in at once. It was as if everything had suddenly all come and fit together. Now everyone could see the whole picture.

The next moment, my fidgeting hands were separated and my right was wrapped in warmth as Jordan took it in his. His tight, secure grip made me feel more at ease. I smiled feebly at his considerateness and kindness, despite the fact that I should have been the one comforting him.

"Hey, guys," a quiet voice muttered from beside me. We all instinctively looked up to see who had broken the silence. Jordan was looking at Lucas and Jasmine with a painful expression. "I feel like I need to apologise to both of you." He raked his right hand through his hair. "I had no idea what was going on behind what I saw. Lucas, I just saw you as a jerk who was purposely trying to get in the way, without ever connecting you to your brother. And Jasmine, since you came back to Baskville, I thought you were fixed on getting revenge on me somehow that I ignorantly never even considered it could be for another reason. I have you two to thank for having my back today when neither of you had any reason to want to." Jordan bit his lip, his face having turned an uncharacteristically rosy shade.

Suddenly, Jasmine started to quietly giggle, which was answered by three silent expressions of shock.

"I'm sorry," Jasmine said, giving us a weary look. "I just can't quite believe that we're sitting in the back of a police car in the middle of the morning." She put her head in her hands, still laughing slightly. "It's just kind of hit me what's going on." Jasmine's characteristic, yet completely out of place, response put impulsive smiles on our faces. Even Lucas gave a self-depreciating laugh.

"Anyway," Lucas said a moment later, looking up from the floor. "You had no reason to know about Ethan. I understand why you'd be wary of us, with the ways we were acting." He glanced at Jasmine and she nodded back. "And..." Lucas looked between Jordan and me. "I didn't know you actually had feelings for Alexa all along or I probably would have done some things a little differently."

As he said that, my heart started speeding up and I felt my face blush. Is that really what he thought? Had Jordan really liked me this whole time? I assumed he was just enjoying toying with me and getting on my nerves. I tried to keep the smile off my face.

"Yeah, this one really seemed to get my attention." Jordan said, squeezing my hand as my eyes went wide. "I couldn't help myself from falling for her." I was so shocked at his straight forward response that I twisted my head to look at him without thinking. He was already staring at me with a playful smile that made my stomach fill with butterflies.

"W-well," I said, wanting the attention to go away. "At least now we know that Ethan's plan failed and he's now being dealt with." We all collectively nodded.

"Yeah," Lucas said. He took a deep breath and straightened his posture. "It had to be done and I don't regret it." Although he looked resolute, his tone still sounded as he was trying to convince himself.