Chapter 3

The priest cleared his throat.

"See, child, if you feel so uncomfortable to talk, maybe you could pray for some time in the chapel and come back?"

His voice reminded of how her father would talk to her, when she had trouble in solving math problems.

Men!

She never knew what kind of a person she would become when she secretly enjoyed the sounds she heard from her parent's bedroom. The days when she used to stay up late at night doing her homework shared more knowledge than any book could've sworn to provide her.

How it always turned her on, the moans and the gasps.

At this age, Annette thought she would be studying in Oxford, probably doing Literature or other Arts and Humanities. She didn't know where it all went wrong; how she became the person she was today. All she knew was that time flew like a zephyr, and she now inhabited a world where the only thing that reminded her of studies were old professors cheating on their wives for a hundred bucks.

Maybe it was because her dad's business crashed down and she had to work in a supermarket; or maybe it was the excessive addiction she had to The Mentor that she was trying hard to get back the pleasures she had once received before she ran away from Yorkshire.

Whatever be the reason, now the only dream she had was to wake up at least one day without a sore body.

"It started four years ago, Father, and I think you might remember me. You married us, Jordan and me. It was probably the only marriage in Yorkshire which ended up in a fleet of four police cars waiting outside to arrest the bridegroom.

Unless, there were more of such incidents, I really don't know a better reference."

Annette heard the sound of priest gulping. Yes, he had recognized her.

How couldn't he? she thought, In fact, everyone present at the wedding would bear it in their hearts; the tragic symbolism of a disastrous wedding.

Amidst the silence escaped her sobs as she began to cry, yet again.

"But it didn't matter to me, because I remember, you asked me to stay strong. You said that it'll pass. And it passed," she continued, "until the day when a man in whom I laid my trust did something so terrible I couldn't forget it no matter how I tried."