Chapter 17

Vania POV

I wake up with Charlie's clock ringing. I heard Charlie turn off the alarm and whispered to himself. "6:00 a.m.I didn't even set the alarm."

"I did. Good morning, Charlie. Thought the three of us spend the day together, get an early start. Come on." Coach Bombay whispered also. Since I wasn't expecting him to be here. I fell down the bed. I stand up and lay down again

"Go away. Hans is gone, go get Vania to hang out with and I want to be alone." Charlie reply

"Look, Charlie, I know you're going through a rough time. I understand. You know, not a day goes by that I don't think about you and the Ducks." Coach Bombay explain

"There are no Ducks. Orion split us apart. You know, you left us with a real jerk." Charlie replied. I nod at his comment

"Orion ? Well, maybe you don't know the whole story. Come on, get dressed. Let's go." Coach Bombay stand up

"Go away." Charlie replied. I giggle at him.

"Can't do that. Come on. Get dressed, Charlie." Coach Bombay threw Charlie out of bed and left the room.

"Come on V. If you have to go. So do you. " Charlie said and threw me over his shoulder. I just took some random clothes and changed in the restroom. After that we would change. Coach Bombay took us to Eden Hall rink. He took us to the benches

"What is this all about" Charlie asked.

"Sit down." Coach Bombay order. We did as we were told. We heard the doors open and suddenly Coach Orion came out with a girl in a wheelchair.

"That's his daughter. She was injured in a car accident about five years ago. He was driving, and they got sideswiped." Coach Bombay explained softly. We both looked at him.

"So that's why he gave up playing pros" I asked

"When the North Stars left Minnesota, he stayed. He didn't want to disrupt her recovery. Her doctors and her friends were here." Coach Bombay told us. I just back at them. Seeing them reminds of my dad and me.

"We all just thought he was some washed-up bully who couldn't hack it." Charlie replied.

"He can hack it, Charlie. He just simply made a choice. I don't think he's ever regretted it for a minute." Coach Bombay replied. I just keep staring at Coach Orion and his daughter. Coach Bombay stood up. Charlie and I just follow him. He led us to the front of Eden Hall.

"Check this out. Look at that hair. I look like Greg Brady. I was like you, Charlie. When I played hockey, I was a total hotshot. Tried to take control of every game. I wound up quitting. So I tried the law. Same thing. I rule in the courtroom, but inside I'm a mess. I started drinking. Man, I was going down. But then this... great thing happened. Maybe the best thing ever. I got arrested and sentenced to community service. And there you were, Charlie and the Ducks. And as hard as I fought it, there you were. You gave me a life, Charlie. And I want to say thank you. I told Orion about all this when I talked to him about taking over. I told him that you were the heart of the team... and that you would learn something from each other. I told him that you were the real Minnesota miracle man." Coach Bombay told Charlie. I just nudged him.

"You did," Charlie replied, tearing up.

"I did. So be that man, Charlie.Be that man." Coach Bombay told Charlie. I gave Charlie a side hug. "I never told you this but I admire you both ever since I met you. Both of you have been through hell and back but you still remain amazing people. " Coach Bombay continued. I just look down. Charlie just rubbed my shoulder.

"Your dad really made a huge mistake letting you and your mom go. Charlie. You grow up to be the most amazing person I have ever met." Coach Bombay pat Charlie shoulder. Charlie just chuckled, shaking. "Vania, your parents should be proud of you. You grow up to be a smart girl." Coach Bombay told me.

How are you doing? How my lovely reader is doing. Guys I've been excited for new years. I get to see my dad's family. I rarely get to see them. I only get to see them once a year. The trip will only be a week. A whole year and I get to see them only for a week. Sucks a bit anyways how are you guys.