Chapter Two

Dedicated to TheChrysanthemum because she really helped me out with some constructive criticism! :) 

Chapter Two

“Who the hell are you?!” I yelped, completely taken by surprise. “And how the hell did you get in here?”

I took a moment to give the man standing in front of me a once-over. Despite the clothes that should have belonged on a homeless person from the 1800’s, he didn’t seem like the type of person who’d want to rob my house. Or kidnap me for that matter. His mussed up dark hair and tired eyes made it look like he just woke up from a deep slumber, and the stubble on his jawline backed up that notion. He looked down at me, looking slightly amused and annoyed at the same time, like I should have understood why he was currently standing in my bedroom. How did he get in here anyways?

“You summoned me,” he said, his charcoal eyes boring into mine, “Isn’t that obvious?”

Okay, this man was completely bonkers. I looked at my desk, picking out my weapons of choice, just in case. Choosing to go with my math textbook- after all, a few ‘sacrifices’ had to be made- I turned back to him. How do you treat a person who might just be crazy enough to kill you if provoked?

You play along.

“Okay then… so I’m guessing you’re supposed to be my magical slave?”

“A genie! I’m supposed to be a genie!” he said, exasperation lacing his voice. “Magical slave, she says. Oh what have I gotten myself into this time?”  He muttered to himself, not even trying to mask his disgust.

“Yeah yeah, whatever. To make this easier for the both of us, how about this- I’ll set you free from whatever it is that binds you to me, and we’ll both move on with our lives like this didn’t happen. Deal?”

This time he let out a booming laugh, loud enough to bring the house down.

“I wish it worked that way,” he said, “but too bad it doesn’t.”

I stared up at his looming figure, waiting for him to continue.

“Despite what the books say, I have to grant you five- not three- wishes. Until they have been fulfilled, I cannot rest. So go on, make a wish,” he sneered, “after all, your wish is my command.”

I stared at him, wide-eyed. He was definitely on crack. “Great, just great,” I muttered, “Is there anything else I should know?”

He sent me a grin this time, seemingly amused by how I was responding to all this.

“Just be careful what you wish for.”

*     *     *

“So let me get this straight,” I said, reaching over the table for the chips, “You’re a genie from the 1800s who must grant five wishes to anyone who rubs that lamp?”

I was currently sitting in the kitchen with this man who claimed to be a genie. Apparently, that lamp was ‘magical.’ I know, not the smartest thing to do on my part, but at least he hasn’t attacked me yet, which was always a bonus right?

“Yep.” He replied, rummaging through my refrigerator for something to eat. “Damn woman, do you not store any food in this house? I’m starving!” As if to further prove this point, his stomach growled loudly right then.

“I’m sorry; I forgot to go grocery shopping today.” I replied, slightly annoyed that this stranger thought he could boss me around like that. “What did you say your name was again?”