Chapter Six

Dedicated to 17Serenity for creating the amazing cover I have up right now ;D Thank you, I love it! 

Chapter Six:

“Okay, what is it?” Jinn asked me calmly, not even slightly phased at my abrupt desire to make a wish. He had probably done this a thousand times over, but the least he could do was pretend to be surprised.

 “I want you to bring my dad back.” I stated, looking up at him hopefully. He closed his eyes, sighing before he responded.

“Lexi, you know I can’t do that,” he said, bringing a hand through his hair and avoiding my gaze. “Like I said a thousand times before, I can’t do things that would affect the balance of the universe like that- that includes bringing back people from the dead. At this point I feel like I need to write you a book- Genieology 101.”

“But that’s my biggest wish,” I said quietly, looking down at my shoes. Although I felt disappointed, I didn’t really expect this wish to go through- I knew I was asking for too much.

“I know, and I’m sorry Lexi, but I don’t have the power to do that.” He said apologetically, taking a step forward. I thought he was about to hug me, but at the last second he stopped himself. “Do you have any other wish that you want?”

“Can you bring my mom out of depression?” I immediately asked, ready with a backup wish. I couldn’t get one parent back so I hoped to get back the other.  

“Depression is too strong of an emotional state, so no, I can’t.”

“I really want at least my mom back Jinn, she’s been gone for too long.” This time Jinn moved in for a hug, wrapping his arms around me and surprising me. After a moment of hesitation I hugged him back, grateful for the comfort. He even smelled comfortable- he smelled like pine, so unlike the axe-drenched males I was so used to hugging. If I were in a movie, I would probably feel sparks wherever his skin made contact with mine, but this was real life.

Then again, genies didn’t exist in real life.

After what seemed like an eternity, he stepped back, clearing his throat and looking slightly embarrassed. “I know I can’t bring your parents back like you want me to, but I do have an idea,” he said, sending me a wide smile. “Why don’t we bring your dad back as an apparition, and let him talk to your mother? I don’t have enough power to bring him back from the dead, but I can give your mother some closure. They can sort things out, and your mother will most likely blame it on a wild imagination later.”

This sounded like a brilliant plan to me. “That’s a great idea, that way I can see him too!” I said, clasping my hands together in delight.

“About that…” Jinn trailed off, looking a bit pained, “I only have the power to let him appear and converse with one person, Lexi.” He continued, “If it is you who wants to see him, your mother won’t be able to.”  

Genie laws were pretty stupid, if you asked me. I considered throwing a tantrum, but then decided against it. After all, I knew Jinn was doing everything he possibly could. “No no, it’s fine. Let my mother see him. She needs him more than I do.”

*     *     *

I walked home from school that day, because my house was relatively close and a congested bus full of sweaty teenagers did not seem very appealing. The sun was bright and shining, and at times like this I often felt like Mother Nature and I had a pact; the weather often reflected my mood. Weird, I know.

Finally reaching the little corner house I called home, I reached into my pocket, pulling out my key and unlocking the wooden door.

"Mom? You home?" I called out into the house, dropping my school bag by the front doors. I only heard an echo in response, so it was safe to assume the house was empty. I rummaged through the kitchen, looking for something at least partially edible to eat.