Chapter Four

Chapter Four:

 I slammed the door shut behind me, frustration for Jinn, Mr. Vittore and myself pouring out of me. The dark wood vibrated, sending a buzzing noise out into the empty hallways.

“Hey, I was just joking around, I didn’t think he’d get that upset,” Jinn said, reaching out for my hand. I shook him off, storming down the hallways in a fury.

“Oh yeah? Well guess what, he’s pissed and my mom’s probably going to get a call from the office regarding my behaviour. Like I haven’t got enough on my plate without you waltzing in like you own the place,” I muttered, annoyed that I was getting so riled up over this.   

“Hey, don’t start crying on me, I’m not that good with consoling people,” Jinn joked, trying to lighten the mood, “plus, now we’ve got the rest of the day to ourselves! Surely better than sitting around listening to boring lectures at school.”

I smiled faintly at his reply, and shook my head. “Did you not listen to a word I said? No, you don’t understand. I just got kicked out of class Jinn, I got kicked out. Do you know how bad I need that grade for college? This is so unlike me, never in my eighteen years of life have I done something so bad to warrant me this. It’s going to go on my records, and then I’ll get rejected from every college I applied to, and-“

“Shut up.”

“But-“

“Honestly Lexi, you need to stop stressing out, there’s nothing wrong with being kicked out of class once in a while. Your teacher isn’t going to fail you just because of one class, and your grades are okay anyways. Since you’re technically an adult, what’s holding you back?”

I sighed, he was right. Might as well take advantage of the situation right?

“Get in the car Jinn, we’re taking a little trip.” I said, smiling inwardly at my rebellious behaviour.

“Atta girl!”

*     *     *

“As much as I love surprises, I would like to know where we’re going Lexi,” Jinn drawled, checking out his appearance in the rear view mirror.

“Remember how you said that you could become visible to other people if I wanted you to?” I asked, avoiding his question, “Well I want you to do that.”

“Whoa hold on, you’re the same person who wanted to hide me from your mom last night, how is this going to help?” Jinn replied, scrunching up his forehead in confusion.

“That was different, my mom would have freaked out if she saw a strange man sitting in her kitchen. I want you to become visible to the world so that I don’t have to worry about you playing pranks on me without other people noticing.” I grinned triumphantly at my master plan, wondering why I hadn’t thought of this earlier.  

“Are you sure about this Lexi? There’s no going back from here.”

“Definitely.”

“Okay, I’ll do it. On one condition though, I get to enrol in your school as a fellow student.”

“How are you going to manage that?” I asked, although I think I already knew his answer.

He brought a hand to his heart, pretending to be offended by what I said. “The way you underestimate my power really hurts me in the heart Lexi,” he sighed dramatically, closing his eyes in the process. “And you still didn’t answer my question, where are we headed?”

“We’re going to need some equipment for this mission; Project-Faking-Normal.”

*     *     *