Chapter Five

Dedicated to IconicSpirit for the awesome edit on the side! ;D You should go check out their stories :)

Chapter Five

For as long as I can remember, I have been faking confidence. You heard me right; I pretend to be a lot more confident than I actually am. I'm not an insecure person, but I do try and cover up my awkwardness with a façade of nonchalance and apathy. Once in a while however, that façade comes very close to being pulled right off. Hanging out with Jinn seemed to be having that effect on me.

Jinn and I were currently in a little bookstore at the far end of the mall, looking through the 'Young Adults' section. To be more accurate, Jinn was looking through the books- I strategically placed myself in a spot that would allow me to ogle him from afar without drawing attention to myself. Yes, I was ogling a man I barely knew. He could be a world-class illusionist for all I know. But let's face it; he was an attractive male and I was a hormonal teenager. Wait, am I even a teenager? Does turning eighteen automatically make me an adult? I was not ready for that kind of responsibility.

Once in a while Jinn asked me for an opinion on a book he picked out. He said that books were one of the most classic forms of expression, and simply could not understand why teens were so obsessed with things like 'Tweeter.' At this comment I looked away; after all I was one of those teens. I loved reading like no tomorrow, but social media had a grasp on me that I could not ignore. We spent most of our time there discussing such things and I felt content. This little bubble of freedom was a refreshing break from reality and I tried to cherish it as much as possible.

That is, until she walked in.

At first, I thought I was imaging things. Surely this lovely moment would not come to such an abrupt end? Unfortunately, I wasn't.

In she walked, her eyes scanning bookshelves like a vulture scouring the desert for lunch. Her perfectly styled hair bobbed up and down with each step she took, and her eyes landed on me, lighting up in recognition. Oh dear.

"Lexi! Oh my god I can't believe you're here!" she cried, engulfing me in a hug.

"Well this is a free country," I muttered under my breath, trying to breathe through the fumes of her intoxicating perfume.

Ignoring what I said, she turned to Jinn, giving him a quick once-over. "And who's your friend Lexi?" she smiled sweetly, batting her eyelashes at him. I think I was going to throw up.

Jinn grinned at her, his eyes betraying the fact that he was definitely interested. And who wouldn't be? Amy White, in short, was beautiful. As much as I'd like to villain-ize her, she came off as a decent person. She was pretty, she played basketball, she had a grade point average higher than I'd ever aim for, she was well-liked, and worst of all she was nice. Or at least she pretended to be, very well might I add. You might be wondering why I would dislike such a seemingly good person, and in reality I did not know. Was I jealous? Maybe. From the day I met her I felt like there was something off about her, I was just never able to pinpoint what.

Jinn put out his hand for a handshake, and after a brief moment of hesitation, Amy shook it.

"Hi, I'm Jinn. I'm guessing you're a friend of Lexi's?"

Amy's smile broadened, and she glanced at me. "Oh yes I am, I'm surprised she hasn't told you about me."

"I must have forgotten," I interject, trying to end the 'moment' they were both sharing, "after all, Jinn is still new to the place."

"Ahh, no wonder, I would've remembered a face like yours," she said, winking at him. Jinn blushed as she said this. Ugh. "Maybe I can show you around some time?"