Chapter 12 - Over It

Luca's POV

My chest was pounding as I watched Blythe run from the ballroom. Shame filled me knowing that I upset her so much, but when I'd seen her dancing with that Liam kid, I don't know what had come over me. The look in his eye as he danced with her...he was enchanted with her. She'd probably known the boy for half an hour, and he had looked totally smitten.

When he'd slid his hands onto her hips, I don't know what came over me. One second I was talking to an old friend from high school, and the next I was holding Liam by his collar. Everything in me wanted to pummel that kid.

"What did you do?" I felt a hand grip my forearm tightly, and I turned to see an accusing glare from Bekah.

"I was protecting her from that delinquent," I growled, pointing at a disheartened Liam.

Bekah squeezed even more tightly on my arm. "You made her cry, Luca. You are not that guy."

"What guy?" I griped.

"You are the good guy - NOT the guy that loses control and hurts innocent girls." Her censorious gaze narrowed. "You like her, don't you?"

I recoiled at the accusation. Ripping my arm from her grasp, I grabbed her wrist and pulled her from the ballroom.

"Don't say stuff like that, Bekah. She's a child, and I'm not a pedophile," I scolded angrily.

She didn't shy from my glare. "The heart wants what the heart wants, Luca, and yours most definitely doesn't want my sister," she stated knowingly.

"What are you talking about?" I seethed.

"I've known you my whole life, Luca. You don't love Rachel any more than Rachel loves thrift store shopping."

"It's complicated, Bekah," I murmured, shaking my head. She placed her hand on my chest.

"I know it is, Luca," she whispered. "But I've never seen you look at anyone the way you look at Blythe."

I groaned and turned from her.

"You don't know what you are talking about Bekah. I was just trying to protect her. She reminds me of Ally," I confessed.

"Whatever you say, Luca," she muttered.

I looked at her, only to see disappointment in her eyes. Why it bothered me so much to have a teenager disapprove of my actions, I'll never know.

"There you are!" Bekah and I both watched Rachel regally exit the large doors. "I've been looking everywhere for you," she cooed. She looked speculatively between me and Bekah. "Why are you in the hall talking to my little sister?"

"He was just coming back from the bathroom and I stopped him to ask if he'd seen Blythe," Bekah covered. "Well, I'll go find her and make sure she's okay."

Her last few words were spoken slowly and deliberately, and I knew she was emphasizing for my benefit that if Blythe wasn't okay, it was my fault. She walked down the hall, and I saw her slip into the women's restroom.

"You're missing our engagement party," Rachel whined.

"You mean the engagement party you didn't tell me about?" I snapped.

"Luc, I started planning this when you told me you were coming for the week," she protested.

"I told you I wasn't sure our relationship was going to continue, and you responded by planning an engagement party?!" I accused. "Did you think I wouldn't dare call off a wedding after we had such a public announcement of our engagement?"