Seven: The Interview

I woke up the next morning to my alarm blaring in my ear. My nervous excitement for my interview caused me to get up straight away, rather than procrastinating in bed for half an hour. After I took a quick shower, I made my way downstairs to get breakfast and noticed the house was empty, so I assumed my dad must have gone to work.

I was only dressed in my suit pants as my shirt was hung up in the laundry room, so after I made some toast, I entered the living room, still shirtless, to avoid getting crumbs down the shirt I was planning to wear.

The doorbell rang as I was eating my toast, so I placed it to the side of me and lazily walked to the door. Opening the door, Alex was revealed, stood on my door step. I invited him in and continued to eat my toast.

"What's up?" I asked as Alex followed after me into the living room.

"Wanted to give you this," Alex said, handing me a plastic bag, "it's a good luck gift."

With a confused smile, I grabbed the bag from Alex and pulled out the item inside. My eyes widened and a shocked expression took over my face.

"Is this..." I whispered and checked the label on the collar to make sure.

In my hands was a shirt. Not just any shirt, an Armani shirt, like the one of Alex's that I ruined the first time I met him. Nice touch.

"Wear it for the interview, you'll have a better chance at getting the job if you look...good." Alex smiled.

"You saying I look good?" I smirked. Alex laughed at me and shook his head, as if to shrug my comment off. I quickly stood up and approached Alex, pulling him into a tight hug.

"Thank you so much." I mumbled into Alex's shoulder as he slowly hugged me back. I pulled away, grinning widely.

"How much was it?" I asked him, my smile slowly fading as I began to realise how much it must have been. I know people aren't supposed to ask how much a gift cost, but I had to know.

"Uh, it was around a hundred." Alex said carelessly. I felt awful. It made no difference to him, it was barely a dent in his bank account. Who am I kidding? I love expensive gifts.

"It's not everyday a friend spends a hundred pounds on me so that I could look good in an interview." I told him, guilt written all over my face, but a small smile pushed its way in.

"Perks of having a rich friend I guess." Alex laughed. "Fuck me, that was a little narcissistic."

"First, I'm flattered you call me your friend rather than your employee's son. Secondly, don't rub it in." I responded with a stupid smile. I looked down at my phone and pressed the home button to check the time. It was almost time for me to set off.

I unfolded the shirt, removing the rich feeling cardboard that was keeping it in place, and put it on. Surprisingly, it wasn't noticeably creased after I'd tucked it in. Wearing the shirt just made me feel and smell rich. I loved it. I put a tie on with the shirt and then put my shoes on.

"You want a lift there?" Alex offered.

"Why are you so generous?" I asked, sighing at his kindness. He shrugged his shoulders and smiled.

Alex took me to the restaurant where my interview was. I thanked him for everything, we said our goodbyes, and he left. I finally walked into the restaurant and into the interview. I attempted to get Alex off my mind, knowing that thoughts of him would distract me.

*

Finally home, I sat down on the sofa and switched on the TV, hoping to calm my nerves. The interview had gone well, from what I thought anyway, and they seemed impressed, despite me having no previous experience in a restaurant. I was anxious for a reply, even though they told me they would be in touch with me either tomorrow or the day after if I got the job. I wanted the day to pass by as quick as possible. My phone vibrated beside me, the screen lighting up with a text message.

Alex: How did your interview go? You better call me straight away after they call you about it, I wanna know how my Armani shirt did.

Me: I think I did really well. They were impressed by the shirt I think. Hopefully I'll get the job. And you'll be the first person I tell...after my dad of course.

Alex: I wish you the best of luck, although the shirt was enough luck. I'll talk later, got a meeting.

I smiled down at myself. He's so cute.

Hours later, my dad came back from work. He walked into the living room and smiled.

"How was your interview?" Asked my dad excitedly.

I smiled proudly, "I think it went really well. They said they would get in touch with me tomorrow or the day after if they're giving me the job."

"Good man," dad said as he ruffled my hair, before leaving to go to the kitchen.

The next day thankfully came quickly and I was laid in my bed, nervously waiting for a call from the restaurant. When my phone finally rang, I answered it straight away without even checking the caller ID. They asked me if I was Lukas and I told them yes before they began speaking. A smile grew on my face as I listened to the person on the other end.

"Yes, I can come on Monday. Thank you so much." I responded, my face about to crack from smiling so wide. We both said our goodbyes as they also said congratulations and I hung up.

I let out a breath of relief. I could finally earn my own money instead of taking it from my dad all the time. I jumped out of bed and made my way downstairs.

The first thing my dad said was, "have they got back to you about that job yet?"

"Yeah." I replied with a straight face as he turned around and looked at me.

"And?" He asked, a nervous look on his face.

I broke into a smile, "I got it."

Dad stopped and looked at me, and a wide smile grew on his face as he dragged me into a hug.

"You got it!" He almost shouted. I laughed happily as I hugged him back.

Dad pulled away, still smiling. "Well, if you're starting Monday then you can use the weekend to celebrate." Dad told me. I smiled back and agreed.

"I'm just gonna go call my friends and tell them." I said before jogging upstairs. I grabbed my phone and called Alex.

"Guess what?" I began.

"Did you get the job?" Alex asked, excitement in his voice.

"Yes!" I exclaimed.

"Shit, well done! Told you that shirt was lucky." Alex laughed.

"Nah, I think it was my charm that won them over, but thanks for the shirt anyway." I joked, laughing after.

"You wanna come to mine? We can celebrate if you want." Alex offered, causing me to smile. I thought about it and it didn't take long to decide.

"Of course."

"Right then, I'll come get you in a minute. Emily's here though, but she'll be going soon." Alex explained. I didn't feel the need to question why she was there, I was too excited. We said our goodbyes and hung up, then I waited for Alex. I rushed downstairs and sat with my dad in the living room as I put my shoes on.

"I'm just going to a friend's house. I might be back late. I don't know yet." I explained to dad and he nodded in response, yet again congratulating me.

When I finally got the text from Alex telling me he was here, I quickly left.

-

Thank you for your feedback, lovely comments and your votes so far, it means the world.

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Thank you for reading!