Black eyed children

Written by- BanthaBug

There's a legend about the children that never came back. Millions of children, every year, vanished from the public eyes. Many times fate is cruel, leaving behind a shoe or a toy. Many take these relics of their beloved child as a sign of hope, but if they knew the earth would be littered in those neglected clues.

For a child to disappear, they must be led away. A fearful child clings to their parents' leg, so bait is required. A toy, a treat, anything to engage a young interest. Sometimes, a friend draws them away.

Elizabeth, a young girl of age eight, sat alone on a creaking swingset. Little feet pounded the ground, dirt flying into the air. But Elizabeth remained in solitude. The children didn't like her. Her mother was odd and father gone. She was not a normal child. Weird children don't get to play.

She curled her knees against her chest and buried her face. Tears only drove the children farther away. At least like this, she could hear what it was like... like to be happy.

A quiet sob fell over her small frame. Silent tears decorated her pale face, eyes hidden in her frail palms. "Dear God." She begged. "I just want a friend. Send me a friend. Send me someone to play with."

"Ēłīźā..." the air hummed.

She turned desperately. The last time that name had been rung aloud, her mother had been calling to her. Her tired eyes crazed to see someone else's gaze to meet hers. A child could only be alone so long.

"Ēłīźā..."

Her eyes snapped upward, meeting only a pool of obsidian. His expression was welcoming, jagged teeth filling a grin stretching ear to ear. His clothes were muddy and torn, one shoe missing. His skin was pale, networks of blue pulsing beyond the thin papery flesh. He was hidden from the children by the underbrush neighboring the playground. Many parents feared the woods, knowing it was easy to get lost. Eliza didn't mind. Curiosity overtook logic.

"Đø ýøū wāńţ ţø płāý wīţh ū§?" He offered.

Elizabeth stood, nodding happily. She trotted to the edge of the wooded land. He offered a hand to her, smiling broadly with a serrated charm. She rested her palm in his. He took her arm, pulling his into the innavigatable timbers. She stumbled, her Velcro pink shoe kicking loose and rested a few feet from the forest wall.

"Wait! My shoe..." she pled.

"Đøń'ţ wøŕŕý! Ýøū đøń'ţ ńəęđ īţ."

Elizabeth was unsure, but smiled. "Okay."

He pulled her deeper and deeper into the forest. There was so way to distinguish where they were, but it didn't matter. She wasn't lonely anymore. He stopped, turning to her and holding a finger to his lips.

"§ţāý hēŕē! Wē'ŕē ģøńńā hīđē!"

"Okay!" Elizabeth chimed happily. She turned into a tree tree and burrowed her face away. "1...2...3..."

Everything was deathly quiet, the shuffling of leaves silence by still air and the giggles of children not even leaving behind a sigh of breath. Her face fell, turning towards the woods in search of her friends. "Hello? Did you guys leave?"

She looked around desperately, finding no one to surround her until before her lashed out claw like hands, burrowing into her face and ripping at her eyes. She cried and screamed, kicking at the monster but to no avail. Her eyes were lost, and the tears left behind collected in her lonesome sockets like red sludge.

She cried and grasped at her lack of eyes, blinded and trying to feel around. "It hurts!" She begged. "Please make it stop! I promise I won't tell mommy. Please make it stop hurting!" She wept.

A demonic tongue curled against her ears, garbled speech paralyzing her with fright.

"Ýøú wíłł śéé áś wé §éé..."

A screech ripped through her throat as jagged obsidian was forced into her sockets, squishing violently in the pools of blood. She tried to blink, but all she saw was red and black. Her teeth ground sharpened tips against one another and she clawed desperately at her face. Her clothes were dirty and face soaked in Ruby hue, eyes now polished obsidian. She cried, the tears cleaning her stone eyes.

"I just wanted to play..." She whimpered. "I just wanted a friend."

A hand appeared before her, and she blinked at the dark red outline she saw. "Łéť'ş ğø płāý Ełíźâ! Ťhéřé áŕé łøťş øf ķîđş áť ťhé płáýģŕøúņđ."