O N E

~ Welcome To The Club, Doll ~

• day 1 •

• C H E Y E N N E •

The sun was beginning to descend, creating a pinkish orange sunset in the sky behind the skyscrapers of Gotham City. I take a deep breath, letting the humid, rain-scented air caress my skin. I opened my eyes, watching the city wake up from the rooftop ledge I stood on.

I felt at ease. Anyone else in my position wouldn't. I was on the most nerve-wracking missions I'd ever have to do. Sometimes, I regret ever starting this "business" of mine. Especially right now. Easily, I could have escaped my past and focused mainly on my dancing hobby. I might've even been able to go professional. Lord knows that's what Bruce and Alfred wanted. What everyone wanted. Yet, the bad in me urged to indulge in the bittersweet side of Gotham.

What Bruce constantly fails to realize and what I had quickly learned was that Gotham was the last place someone should go to snuff out their past and become a new person. He was always so adamant to prove Gotham could be a good place, but there's been no evidence since I've been here.

My body tenses when I hear boots hitting rooftop behind me, but I didn't have to turn around to know exactly who it was.

"Three months, Cheyenne," he says, standing next to me on the ledge and showing me his little smartwatch set for exactly 3 months from now. "You have 92 days to get him to me."

"I work on my own time, Batsy." I remind him, smirking as I reach up and pluck the bat ear on his mask. He gives me a stern glare. I knew better than to go against him or tease him at a time like this. I spent long enough with him to know not to play around right now. I step down on the rooftop and pick up the duffel bag which was full of my belongings.

"Don't test me, Cheyenne," he warns me as I begin to walk away. I turn back towards him, rolling my eyes. "Don't think that just because I saved you from Belle Reve once, I won't throw you in there. I gave you your chance and you took advantage. Just because you might do something great for Gotham, it won't suddenly make you a hero. You're a villain."

"And your little girlfriend isn't?" I glare back at him as I continue to walk towards the back of the building. I'm not a villain, F.Y.I. But, I'm no hero either, he was right about that. He raised me to be like him and I turned out to be something else, something I don't think anyone expected. "Don't worry, Bruce. You know what I'm capable of. Three months."

I jump down onto the fire escape at the back of the building, climb down, and walk through the alleyway, out onto the busy sidewalk. I sigh, making my way towards my new job at the nightclub, The Laugh and Grin. This had to be the toughest job I was ever given. I can usually do many of my missions with ease, but all pressure was on. I wasn't working for money, like any other job I'd done. I was working for my freedom. Bruce and I had made a deal when I had turned 18 when he found out I was making money as a rookie hitwoman. When it came the time, the fate of Gotham would end up in my hands and I would have to pass the one and only Joker over to Batman in permanent cuffs or it would be me in his place. It was the Joker or my life and I think it's obvious what is more valuable to me.

I couldn't just rush into his club and take him by force. His henchmen have me outnumbered by a long shot. I had to gain Joker's trust. Gain it enough so that he'd be comfortable around me without his guards. I believe that there is no better way to get to the Joker than to be right under his nose. I'd be working as a dancer/waitress at his nightclub. The hours were insane, but I barely slept at night anyways.

As I near the club entrance, I take a deep breath. In here, around Joker, I wasn't Cheyenne, the Assassin. I was just Cheyenne, the dancer/waitress at The Laugh & Grin. That would have to be a big adjustment. I never needed to be a different person for a job.