Parent Problems (part 3) - PreathxMal

Christen ended up having the same virus as Mal, except hers seemed so much worse. Ali held her close as her fever just seemed to get higher. Dawn had given her some medicine, but it didn't seem to be working. She stayed in bed for a few days without any improvement, until one day, there was a knock.

Ashlyn, who was on her shift to watch Christen as Ali went to check on Mal and Tobin, opened the door to find Mal standing there. "Where's Mama?" she asked.

Ashlyn smiled to herself. "In bed," she said softly. "You look a lot better Mal Pal, how are you feeling?"

"Loads better," Mal smiled. "How is she?"

"Bad," Ashlyn sighed.

"Really? I got over it quicker than this..."

"Come see for yourself kid."

Ashlyn let her in and Mal walked over to the bed Christen was sleeping in. Mal shook her arm gently. "Pr-princess?" Press asked as her eyes fluttered open. "What are you doing here?"

"Move over," Mal said softly.

Christen moved over and she climbed into the bed. Mal wrapped her arms around her. "You're burning up Mama," she sighed, kissing her temple. "Aunt Ash, can you get me a cold washcloth?"

"Okay!" Ashlyn called.

She came back with a wet washcloth, which Mal laid across Christen's forehead. "Mal it's coldddd," Christen whined.

"And you need to get that fever down," Mal said softly but sternly. "Please Mama."

"Fine," Christen grumbled, snuggling close to Mal.

"Hey Mama?"

"Yeah baby?"

"I love you."

Christen began to tear up. "I-I love you too Mal."

Mal held her closer, rocking her gently as she cried. She knew that Christen hadn't meant to be mean to her, she knew something had to have been going on.

...

After a few more days of bed rest and cuddling from Mal, Christen was beginning to feel back like her old self. Mal moved back into their room too. Even though Mal didn't know what had been going on with Christen, she chose to look past that and be happy that her mama was finally beginning to feel better.

It wasn't until Tobin brought it up that Mal even remembered it. The three of them had been lying in Mal and Christen's room, Mal in between Tobin and Christen. "Chris, babe," Tobin sighed. "I think it's time you talked to Mal about..."

"About what mama?" Mal questioned, looking up at Christen.

"Well, princess," Christen sighed. "My parents... they weren't too happy about the news that Tobin and I were together."

Mal frowned. "Why not? Why would anyone find this less than adorable?"

Christen chuckled. "They just don't agree with it sweet pea," she kissed her head. "Some people just don't."

"Those people are stupid," Mal rolled her eyes.

"Mallory Diane be nice," Tobin warned.

"Tobs, honey," Christen gave her girlfriend with an odd look. "Are you feeling okay?"

Tobin shook her head. "My stomach hurts."

"Uh oh..." Mal frowned, pressing her hand to Tobin's forehead. "Mama she's burning up."

Christen sighed. "Mal Pal, can you go hang out with Aunt Amy?"

"But mamaaaaa," Mal whined. "I want to help."

"Mal you can't get sick," Christen sighed. "What about Aunt Ali and Aunt Ash?"

Mal sighed. "Fine."

Mal left and Tobin snuggled into Christen's side. "She wasn't wrong," Christen kissed her temple. "You're on fire."

Tobin groaned. "Chris I think I'm gonna be-"

Luckily for Christen, she had the reflexes of a cat. She grabbed the trash can and had it under Tobin just in time. She rubbed her back with her free hand. "Shh," she cooed softly. "I'm here. I've got you."

When Tobin was finished Christen wrapped her arms around her, kissing her hair every once in a while. She took out a thermometer and checked Tobin's temperature, which was at a hundred degrees. "Not too bad Toby," she whispered softly.

The door was then basically knocked down by Mal, with Ashlyn trailing behind her. "Princess what's-"

Her face was red and sweating, her breath was coming in short gags, and she was shaking as she ran. "Oh shit the blanket," Christen laid Tobin down before grabbing it from the other bed.

She moved Mal towards the bed and gently wrapped her arms around her, before handing her the purple monkey blanket. Mal began to relax in the older girl's arms, and Christen held her close. "Sorry to bother you," Ash said sheepishly. "She just started panicking and ran out."

"It's okay," Christen smiled softly at the now sleeping forward in her arms. "I think I can handle her tonight."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I think she'll be better that way. No offense," she added quickly.

"None taken," Ashlyn chuckled. "I'll see you guys later."

She kissed Mal's forehead before walking out of the door. Christen laid Mal down and went back to Tobin. "Babe, can you sip some water for me?"

Tobin nodded as Christen handed her the bottle. She took only a few sips before shoving it back into her hands. For a moment she thought she may get sick, but her stomach settled so she just laid on top of Christen. "I love you," Christen whispered, running her fingers through her long hair.

"I love you too," Tobin croaked, clinging to her girlfriend.

"Mama? Mommy?" Mal called.

"Yes princess?" Christen asked.

"C-can you guys lay with me? I h-had a n-nightmare."

Christen sighed, looking at Tobin. She couldn't have Mal getting sick again, but she couldn't leave Tobs by herself. She also couldn't leave Mal, who looked so scared she might pass out. Oh screw it, she thought as she lifted Tobin up.

She brought Tobin to the bed, then managed to get in between her and Mal. Both of them instinctively cuddled close to her as she wrapped an arm around each of them.

And for that night, Christen didn't care what her parents thought. That was her girlfriend. That was her daughter. This was her family. And she would be damned if anyone came in between them.