Chapter 17: Unreturned Letters

Ginny's POV

School was officially out, I was free of homework, bullies, stupid teachers and of course Bloody Potter. Although I have to admit, over the past few months since the incident, Potter hasn't been that bad. He has asked me out significantly less, actually been genuinely kind to everyone and deflated his head a bit. Best of all on the last day of school he punched Cho Chang in the face for announcing to the great hall that she and Harry were dating, and that I was a skank. I had to give Harry my respects for that. I'm starting to admit, he really isn't that bad. But I still hate him. Him and I can't happen, I have a reputation to protect, and if I want to be head girl in 7th year, he is not going to take that away from me.

It's now June 24th, I was sitting at my desk just reading an interesting muggle book Hermione gave me called 'The Wizard of Oz'. It's so funny what muggles come up with when it comes to wizards and witches. Anyway I was sitting there and my owl tapped on my window. I went over to her and noticed that she was holding a letter. I took the letter from her and just from looking at the writing I realised who it was from. Potter.

I ripped open the letter and began to read.

Dear Ginny, I'm sorry I can't keep using Weasley anymore it's getting annoying to say
How have your holidays been? Mine have been great as always, hanging with the marauders. I was just writing to you for a peace offering. I understand you probably still hate me, and I completely understand why. I have been a prat. A lazy, arrogant, prat at that. I just wanted to ask for your forgiveness and to turn over a fresh page and start over. These coming years are our NEWT years. And we (meaning you) need to study hard. I hope you can forgive me, I do not hope for a reply straight away so if you need some time to think about it go ahead.
Sorry for being hard on you all these years,
Harry (Aka, your future husband or the lazy, arrogant, toe-rag)

I looked up from the letter. Wow, that was a lot of heart coming from one guy. I didn't think it was possible. There was then a knock on the door, I turned around to see Ron standing in the doorway.

"Did you get Harry's letter?" He asks. I nod.

"B-but how did you know?"

"Well someone may have asked me for some help in writing a letter to his future wife." I shook my head and face palmed. How could I be so stupid. Potter didn't write half of what he said, well he probably meant some of it though. I decided then that I wasn't going to reply. If he really wanted my forgiveness he could wait it out.

The next day I was in the kitchen eating breakfast when my owl came yet again with another letter. It was from Potter to no surprise. I read this time it was alot shorter, and more in character.

Please Ginny, forgive me. I'm dieing here not knowing if I will be forgiven.
Sirius: Please Ginny, forgive him. He's sworn he won't leave his room until you reply.

I chuckled, I still wasn't going to reply. I would cause him pain for as long as I could manage.

Over the next two weeks, each morning I received a new letter from Potter asking for my forgiveness. Some letters actually got quite ridiculous. It wasn't until the middle of the third week that I realised what I was actually doing to him. Mid morning I received a different letter, this time it was from Hermione. She wrote.

Dear Ginny,
I hope your holidays are going ok, mine are going great. Anyway to the point, I was just over at Harry's house yesterday because James and Sirius called me over urgently. You have no idea what you are doing to the guy. He thinks that you aren't going to forgive him and he's really worried. I know you might not want to forgive him just yet, but please do it. I promise I'll buy you anything on the first Hogsmeade trip back.
Hermione

After receiving this letter I ran straight upstairs to write my forgiveness letter, I knew I was causing him pain but I didn't quite realise how much.

Dear Potter,
You have caused me so much pain over the past few years and I really shouldn't forgive you, but...
It sounds like from what Hermione has said, I have caused you enough pain to last you a life time.
I forgive you. This doesn't in anyway mean we are best buds, but I guess I can tolerate you.
Next time though, don't use Ron as help to write your letter. You might just get a letter written back sooner.
Regards,
Your future not-wife Weasley.

A few days later I got a letter back. This time it was from Mr. Potter.

THANKYOU GINNY!!!!!
He is now back to his old self again, you have no idea how depressed he was before. We completely understand why you held back your reply though, he deserved it. It's what Lily did to me when ever I wrote to her. We Potter's really do stuff things up when it comes to red-headed girls. Anyways feel free to avoid dating Harry for as long as you want, if he really likes you he'll fight for you.
Thanks Ginny, you have my approval as my future daughter in-law,
James Potter, your future father in-law

I shook my head and chuckled, I don't think he'll ever be my father in-law. But who am I to say it won't happen. I mean we are starting a clean slate.