Chapter 34 - James

"This is my favorite place," I explain, as I help her out of the car.

It really is. My brother and I used to come here all the time when we were little. It was our refuge from home, after mom died. She had built up this magical place, and I've always kept it secret, even from Fiona when we were still married. No one knows about it and the significance it holds to me. Well, this is going to change now.

Carefully supporting her lower arm, I make sure Autumn doesn't trip over one of the roots. Would be too easy in the blackness of the woods and with those shoes. I'm amazed she can walk even one step with them, they look uncomfortable as hell. And fucking sexy.

"Where are we?" she asks warily, making a big step to avoid another root.

"Are you afraid?" I respond, and although I can't see it, I think she shakes her head.

"Don't be. We're almost there," I reassure her. "It's worth it, you'll see."

And yes, here it is, my mom's beloved little cabin, my safe haven. Two little iron-cast lanterns illuminate the small gravel path that leads to the front door. To the left and right, it is adorned with flowers my mother planted when she was still with us. Of course, now it is too dark to see any of the beauty she instilled in this place, so we just walk past it until we reach the entrance.

"Is this yours?" Autumn's voice is filled with wonder.

"Yes," I smile at her, locating the keys I always carry with me. Always.

"It is so beautiful."

"Wait until you see inside." I unlock the door and let her enter first.

When I turn on the lights, I see her huge eyes wandering around the small space of the cabin in amazement.

"You like it?" I ask, watching her examine the place. Everything is made of wood; the floors, the ceiling, the walls, the furniture. Well, except for the fireplace, which consists of bold rocks, giving it an even more rustic feel.

"Yes," she replies, her breath forming little clouds in the chilly air. "I love it. No wonder it is your favorite place."

"You're cold," I remark, pointing at the goosebumps on her bare skin. "Don't worry. We'll have you warm in no time."

Oh sweet, sweet Autumn. She's blushing at my words. Beautiful girl, I know a hundred different ways to warm your silky skin, but for now, I will resort to the good old fireplace.

I take off my suit jacket and her cheeks flush even more. Oh good God, she is so incredibly cute. Gently, I place my jacket around her shoulders and I have to force myself not to take her in my arms, although it is all I want to do now.

"Here," I mutter, noticing the husky tone my voice has taken on and I clear my throat. "This will keep you warm until I got the fire going."

With that, I turn my back to her and crouch down in front of the fireplace, getting to work.

As the flames begin to gnaw at the wood with a soft crackle, I get back up and am surprised to see her still standing where I left her a few minutes ago. She was watching me the entire time.

"You can sit, you know," I smile, but I know it doesn't reach my eyes. My throat is so damn dry from the heat spreading through my body, and it sure as hell isn't from the fire.

Instead of a response, she steps closer to me, sliding the jacket off her shoulders and handing it back to me.

You're warm, too? I accept it but my focus is entirely on those two hypnotizing amber eyes under those freaking long black lashes. The clouds of her breath escape her slightly parted lips in an elevated rhythm, and I can't help but lower my gaze to her chest. It is rising and falling rapidly, pushing her full breasts firmly against the turquoise fabric.