Chapter 3: The Moons Omen

Daphne eyes snap open wild frantic obsidian eyes darting back and forth. Her breathing felt crushed and off as she tried to suck in as much air as she could. Panic resided itself, she felt a sharp pain and then a crack. Making her body convulse twist and curl into a ball. She felt as if she was going to die. She felt hot, too hot, but as quickly as she felt it she was then too cold. Her body continue to twist and crack under the forest floor.

"Daphne, honey you need to breath. Your shifting into your wolf" a muffled voice whispered into her ear. It sound so close, yet so far away. Frantically she tried to find the source of the voice. To find comfort from the voice. It sound familiar something she lacked right now as nothing seem right.

Beta James was relieved to see his daughter was alive, but that quickly vanished as he saw his daughter was going through her shift. He held her whispering encouraging words to help her ease into her shift. Although he sensed Daphne could hear him, it wasn't getting through to her. She was burning up and convulsing harder then any shifts he has ever witness. He couldn't recall his first shift being as violent as Daphnes was at this exact moment. Shifts these powerful an average wolf wouldn't have been able to survive they would have died of shock a as soon as they began. James refused to loose his daughter not in a time like this he would take her place if needed be.

"Beta..." a voice broke the silent night.
He glanced over at the Oracle that stood next to Alpha Matthew. She didn't look concern over the transformation that seem to be taken a toll on his daughter. He didn't know if he should be angry or relieved if the Oracle wasn't reacting in urgency.

"Beta James..." I answered the question she silent asked. She nodded. "If I may suggest, that you let your daughters mate hold her as she continues to shift into her wolf."

James almost snarled at the suggestion if wasn't for Alpha Matthew agreeing with the Oracle. Alpha Matthew observed Daphne closely shocked by the sudden transformation. Did the lightening bring on her shift? He wonder amazed that she seem to hold on even though the transformation was taking a toll on her. She was strong that was no doubt, but he hadn't realize exactly how strong she was. Which had him wonder if the Oracle knew anything of Daphnes condition?

"It would help her if she was closer to her mate, it would ease the transformation," the Oracle carefully suggested. Knowing very well that the Beta would rather rip Alpha Jaxons head off then have him near his daughter, but if he wanted his daughter to live to see the next day he would agreed.

It was then that Daphne began to convulse again and grunt in pain as her muscle tore themselves apart to complete the shift. The Beta reluctantly let his daughter go from his grip. He would be lying if he didn't believe that her mate could help her. But he also didn't want the son of a b*tch anywhere near his daughter. He had made his decision by marking another female, distracting his daughters honor in front of the whole pack. For that Beta James couldn't forgive his future Alpha no matter how much he can grown to like the boy. He knew that if he wanted Daphne to not feel any pain he would have to swallow his pride and let the mates bond do it's thing to make sure Daphne would survive her shift.

He stood up kissing his baby girl on the forehead. He looked at Alpha Jaxon expectantly, but he just stood there. Protecting the she wolf he claimed as his Luna. Conflicted emotions tore him apart as he clearly didn't understand what was happening and who could blame him. He was just as a victim as his own daughter was. He cared for him as a son. He admired his strength and will when it came down to Alpha business. He cared deeply for his people, and the safety of his pack which was saying more then his own father. He cleared his throat waiting for him to react and on his own accord he did moving like a zombie towards his daughter.

Alpha Jaxon felt like he was an outsider looking in. He didn't feel like what was happening was real. Almost pinching himself to see if he was dreaming. He had witnessed his mate standing in front of him just a couple of feet away from his grasp and now she was withering on the floor in excruciating pain as her wolf took place. His wolf took charge, pushing him to the back of his mind as soon as his father gave him permission to get closer to his mate without him ripping Jaxon apart. He couldn't blame him if he did. Daphne was all he had left since the rogues attack.