PART NINETEEN

During the time spent between the walk and waiting for Darien, I couldn't stop thinking about that poor man and what I had done to him. I continued to wipe my hands, but the bloodstain wouldn't subside.

I kept telling myself that I didn't mean to kill him, and how things had been okay with Troy—all things considered—but it didn't make much of a difference.

John's blood was on my hands.

I stood near the place where I was turned into a vampire, staring out at the traffic on the road as I waited. I was beyond relieved when I noticed Darien's black Mustang.

He flagged me over with a hand gesture, but the signal wasn't needed because I was already racing toward him.

When I reached his car, he glanced up through the open window and smirked. "Hey, killer."

I leered in response. "What do we do now?"

"It's been taken care of," he said. "Get in."

I got into the passenger side and did up my seatbealt. "How did you manage to make it there in time?" I asked.

"I have connections. They dumped the body."

The words 'the body' made my stomach churn.

Darien pulled out from the curb, his dark eyes glued to the road as he continued to drive north, toward the Turner residence.

"Where did they...dump the body?"

"Don't know, don't care. The point is that it's been taken care of." He sparked up a cigarette, and it dangled from his lips as he muttered, "So, tell me, how was it?"

"How was what?" I felt my face scrunch.

"Your first kill."

"Oh, um, I don't know . . ."

"The first time is always hard," he said, his French accent thick. It almost sounded as though he was making a lame attempt to console me.

"It's not that . . ." I said meekly.

He glanced over at me. "What's bothering you then?"

"I enjoyed it," I confessed. "I enjoyed hurting him."

"Oh, is that all?" he snickered. His arm rested on the rolled-down window as he ashed his cigarette. "That's normal, love. I mean, we are vampires, after all. You're supposed to enjoy the kill. I always do—hell, I crave it."

A shiver jolted up my spine at his cold words. It was reassuring to know that I wasn't alone, and that my bloodlust and heartless behaviour was normal for my kind. Still, I couldn't help but to notice how my humanity seemed to be slowly slipping away from my undead body.