PART TWO

The next few hours dragged on. Officer Garcia returned with the paperwork, and I answered a million questions before they finally let me go. I had a theory that officers made this process as daunting as possible, all in hopes that people like me would loathe it so much that we'd miraculously become law-abiding citizens.

As I made my way home, I crossed my arms over my chest and tugged my jacket around my body as tightly as I could manage. Even in Australia, winter was cold and unforgiving. The night air was chilly against my skin, and I knew that I had a long walk ahead of me. Usually, I was homeless, but I currently had a place to stay. It was located in a small, dangerous suburban area toward western Sydney. It was the type of neighbourhood that you didn't want to be found walking in alone after midnight.

With a deep sigh, I turned the corner and noticed a silver Commodore pull up beside me. The man behind the wheel rolled down his tinted window a fraction and then stuck his arm out just enough to call me over with a not-so-subtle hand gesture.

Clearly, I was his first hooker.

I exhaled sharply, creating a wave of smoke with my heated breath. I wasn't in the mood for work, but with a two-thousand-dollar fine sitting in my pocket, I needed the money.

As I strutted toward his car, I allowed my jacket to fall open and propped up my breasts so they sat plump in my red bra. I didn't even look at him before I leaned down and muttered, "Eighty for oral, two hundred for sex."

"How about just a ride home?"

I recognised the voice instantly. It was the cop from the police station—Officer Faulkner.

"Am I in trouble?" I smiled meekly.

"I think I'll let it slide, just this once. Get in."

Assuming that I couldn't get into much more trouble, I jumped into Officer Faulkner's unmarked car. The interior had leather seats, and the strong scent of his cologne was lingering in the air. For a few moments, we sat quietly. Only the sound of my teeth chattering filled the silence. Without another word, Reed turned on the heater and removed his police jacket before he handed it over to me.