IX- Roses, Lilies & Cherries

Walking back from the garden, I continue to admire the rose as I pass by the heavenly kitchen. The dew drops are still crystallized on the petals of the rich, wine rose, the petals blooming all over my hand.

My cheeks still remember the feeling of the heat from the cooling morning under the shade of the willow with Trevor. I smile shyly.

"Mon cher! I was just about to-" she pauses, her eyes flickering, deciphering my still flustered expression, a grin growing in her face, "- who did you see today mon cher?"

I blush harder as I face my grandma, who has caught my smile and is wiping her flour-covered hands onto a small wet cloth.

"Just... checking up on General Trevor."

"How did it go? I bet he swept you off your feet."

"Grandma!" Now heat is filling my cheeks even faster.

She chuckles and pats me on the back. "What? Just watching out for you, darling. Watch the red, it's practically bursting all over your face."

I roll my eyes. "What have you been doing, Grandma?"

She glance at her hands. "After riding dear StarLight- who, trust me is still all so cheeky! But after that, I fed her and joined our kitchen to make some good old cherry pie! Remember? It was one of your favorites, I think. Cherry pie brushed with egg and decorated with raspberries and strawberries."

Glad for the distraction, I smile with a distant memory of hungriness. "Mmm, yes. Are you done with it?"

"Well it's now baking. Would you like to help me make another for the staff here?"

I nod enthusiastically, slipping my rose into a hidden pocket within the folds of my dress, walking in and wrapping my arm around Grandma, gently pushing her into the kitchen again, "Please do!"

She laughed. "You are still the same young granddaughter that I knew who loved doing things instead of getting stuffed up with taxes. Trust me, we can relate."

I give out a short bark of a laugh. This is gonna be the best few months, for everyone.

Two hours flew by and I was getting back to old hobbies, baking with Grandma, chatting with Gertrude about the newest recipes she is cooking up in here.

The kitchen soon was flooded with the scent of baked eggs and the sweetness of the cherries. Pulling out freshly washed strawberries and raspberries, I start placing them along the golden brown edge of the criss-crossed pie.

Once Grandma was happy with the results, we brought them out to the dining hall and she had the staff and all the maids and knights to come together to have lunch, along with the pies as dessert. And soon, the hall was bustling with noise again.

Some of the knights brought out pie slices for those on guard, and some maids brought them to the officials in the further parts of the palace. Grandma really knows how to bring everyone together, every single time, no problem.

Once all of it was done, I started trailing my way to my throne room. I need to get some work done. I push open the doors and I see a lone scarlet rose sitting across a patch of thick cream paper on my throne.

I scuttle over quickly, picking up the rose in one and flipping the card open with my other.

For you to match the rose.

There's no signature, but I'm aware of who it is. My cheeks blushes at his sweet note.

Giggling to myself, I place the rose in a simple vase by the throne. Then I remembered the one he gave me this morning, and I place it in too. They stand out against the draping of the navy curtains that lined the back of the gold and red throne placed in a white and cream room. Sunlight shines through the long silts of glass, patterning the carpet.

Surveying the paperwork that lies near the walls-most likely about taxes and current events-I sigh as I flip through the ones that require immediate attention from those that are routine work.

When I'm done, I sit myself into the throne, leaning my head onto my hand.

Closing my eyes to adjust to the summer heat, I open my eyes and notice a small bouquet of wilting lilies sitting close to a curtained window by the right. Pursing my lips, I walk over to them. Cradling one in my hands, I can feel it's shriveled petals weighting into my hands. Someone clearly doesn't know how to take care of them.

How pretty it was when it was still alive. I reimagined it's creamy texture and its exotic magenta and green striping of the petals, light freckles dotting all over and its intoxicating perfume so refreshing and strong.

Instantly, the flowers all started to shimmer back from its corpse state back to its colorful nature.

I jump back frighten. I look to my hands, searching its clean surface for trails of some kind of evidence that can bring flowers back from the dead.

I see nothing, just veins and ghosts of flour.

What kind of magic can bring back-

Magic. Magic.

I pull back my sleeves to reveal the bracelets and the ring. They still look the same. I pull the ring off and suddenly I feel drained of energy, my mind feeling a little woozy. I slip it back on.

Glancing at the fully alive lilies, I pull one out of its vase and went running for Grandma.
I cocked my head back and forth as I track the one woman who explained magic to us when I was a kid. That she had magic. That we have magic. Finding her reading out in the gazebo, I pull myself to sit next to her, panting as I place the lily in her book. I can't believe I called her crazy when I was eight!

"Deidra! What's with-?"
"Grandma. Tell me you saw that there were lilies in my throne room looking all dried up?"

She first look at my posture, hinting at my manners. I straighten myself and resume to my questioning gaze.

Once she approved of me, she answers, "Well yes. I'm assuming someone finally replaced them?"
"No, Grandma. I gave them life again." I look at her with bursting curiosity. I made sure she can see it.
For a second I saw suprise flicker through her expression before being replaced with a guarded face forgiving and proud. Full with secrets to tell.
"Mon cher, your powers are appearing."