Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Night had fallen on yet another day in the glorious land of Rome.

But this was not just simply another day.

It was a special day because at the bottom of the hill, on which he stood, lay a villa.

And in that villa stood the traitor Krista, and her brood of slaves, as she waited for their attack. 

Gaius stood atop the mound as he fixed his eyes on the villa in the distance, lit up with torches until the entire building looked like one large flame in a field of darkness.

Lifted off the ground, able to see for leagues into the distance, a strange sort of calm descended over him.

Being this close to the heavens helped to clear his mind as he focused on his orders.

“Should I give the order to advance, sir?” An eager young man asked from behind, “Before the element of surprise has slipped from our grasp,”

“It is too late for that,” Gaius informed them calmly, “She knows we’re coming,” He gazed at the villa, breaking down its weaknesses whilst trying to imagine the slaves that now ran wild inside its walls.

In his mind, Gaius could see the gullible and innocent Dianna; out of her depth in such a world she could not hope to survive and he had helped to deliver her into their clutches.

How such a girl could be drawn into this battle he did not know but he knew his orders and he knew his duty; both of which he would carry out until there was not a breath left in his body.

Gaius could feel the looks of confusion and fear his men were giving each other as his cloak started to flap in the wind behind him, a sudden gush of wind whipping around him.

“My lord, they may not have seen us-” The boy hoped.

“-Never,” Gaius turned around to face his men, “Never underestimate your opponent; Krista knows exactly where we are,”

“How can you tell?” A man asked, seeming perplexed by such a feat as he walked closer to the edge.

Gaius had started to walk down his line of men when he turned back and gazed at the villa, remembering the woman he had seen fight upon the sands with such skill and ferocity in the arena.

“The worse thing any person can do in a war is to presume themselves the victor before the battle has been won,” Gaius imparted the wisdom on eager ears, “Now, prepare to move out.”

* * *

Artorius kept his eyes straight, not pausing as he strode straight towards the closed gates of the villa.

They had been walking for days and now that she was within his grasp no one could deter him.  

The gates were opened just as he reached the threshold allowing Artorius to slip through the gap and search the courtyard for Krista.

His eyes glazed over a dozen faces, new and familiar alike when he saw it.

It was night time, and darkness had descended, making it hard to make out their features but Artorius could clearly see the outlines of five bodies hanging from the end of a rope.

He could hear the familiar buzz of flies and other insects as they feasted on the carcasses, their bodies beginning to rot.

Something in his stomach twisted as his mind automatically came to the conclusion that Krista had done this.