Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Approaching silently through the forest, Cato got as close as he dared.

Leaning against the length of a tree, the bark rough against the palm of his hand, Cato watched from a distance.

His eyes took in the image of roman soldiers upon the hundreds. Torches were being doused with water as dawn began to arrive, casting light upon the horror of war.

The torch lights that did remain flickered against the warming sky and caught Cato’s attention as he turned his gaze towards the tent and there, stood at the top, was the figure of Gaius Aurelius.

Following the path of romans, Cato turned his head and gazed upon the carriage preparing to leave.

Two horses were attached to the front but when Cato peered through the large barred windows of the carriage his breath caught in his throat.

His eyes fell upon Krista and Diomed with alarm. Taking a sudden step forward, despite knowing he could do nothing to aid them, Cato felt his foot step upon something soft.

Glancing down at his feet, Cato closed his eyes in grief as he saw the dead body of Caelia staring up at him, his foot resting upon her stomach.

Removing his foot, Cato saw how her hand was entwined with the hand of Acrisius, who lay dead beside her.

Unable to help them, Cato turned back to the carriage and watched as Diomed and Krista stared into the distance. Cato was too far away to see their faces clearly but Cato could only imagine the pain she was feeling.

The sound of voices drew Cato’s gaze from Krista and back towards Gaius where he was walking past the carriage, speaking to a man.

Cato recognised him as the horse rider who came charging into the battle.

“Prepare the men to leave,” Gaius’s thick roman accent travelled through the air until Cato caught the end of his sentences, “We head for Rome and the Empress immediately.”

Cato gripped the tree tightly as he heard the conversation; if Krista got inside those walls they would never be able to free her again.

But Cato could not attack the carriage; there were too many Romans and he was too few.

He would be overpowered immediately and his heart palpitated with fear of being put back into shackles.

Cato needed to find Leonidas and they needed to leave.

Krista had given them a task to do; Cato could not allow her child to fall into Roman hands.

Taking care where he stepped, Cato turned away from Krista and the romans and vanished back into the forest.

*

Leonidas stared at the bundle in his arms with confusion.

He knew that he too had been this small once but the child was squirming uncontrollably and his lips kept opening in high-pitched screams that threatened to betray them.

It seemed the only thing that comforted the little creature was when Leonidas rocked him slowly.

Afraid to stop the rocking motion, Leonidas pressed his back against a tree and kept looking around him; Cato had left moments earlier to discover what had happened.

Leonidas needed to know but he could not abandon the child, Krista had given Leonidas his charge and he shall carry it out with all his strength.

The warmth of the early morning sun began to seep through the canopy above and dry the blood on his skin, removing the protection that the cover of shadows provided.