Chapter 25

Chapter 25

“Rheia and her men are positioned here,” Krista leaned across the map in her tent and pointed to the high ground less than five miles from their camp.

“From there,” Artorius scanned the surrounding areas on the drawing, “she’ll be able to see us coming from all directions.”

“Nobody said she wasn’t smart,” Frieda snapped as she clipped out another belt of daggers around her waist to join the sword that rested on her hip.

Krista gazed across the map and searched the far reaches of her mind as she tried to conjure up a plan.

They couldn’t sneak up from behind or from the sides; Rheia would see them coming.

They had no element of surprise on their side.

“There’s only one thing we can do,” Krista sighed as she leaned against the table, wincing when the child inside of her turned abruptly, “An all-out assault,”

“We’re at half-strength ever since the disease,” Artorius argued, “And even then the men are weak. They will not survive it,”

“It doesn’t have to be for long,” Krista shook her head as she started to strap on her armour, still talking with Artorius, “Just long enough for us to get Leonidas and the other captives back.”

“It will not be easy,” Frieda spoke softly, “Rheia will have them locked away,”

“If they’re even there,” Artorius interrupted, “How do we know that this is not a trick?”

Krista took a slow breath as the baby kicked inside of her once again, “We don’t. But what we do know is that Leonidas has gone out there; unarmoured and unprepared. We have to rescue him.”

“Leonidas is a friend,” Artorius charged forward and gripped Krista’s arm, making her look at him, “But I will not risk your life and the life of our child for him. Do not ask me to.”

Krista tilted her head and gazed into Artorius’s ebony eyes that shined.

Artorius was a strong warrior, he was a champion. And yet he was walking away from a battle and condemning a friend for her. Krista could not allow that.

“Leonidas saved me,” Krista told Artorius, “I will not leave him to this fate. And neither will you if you were honest with yourself.”

“Then let me go,” Artorius rushed, “There is no need for you to be harmed.”

“I am not weak,” Krista pulled her arm from his grasp and tightened the pauldrons on her shoulders, “I can lead this army.”

“Your leadership is not at risk,” Artorius raised his voice, “Your life is.”

“My life is always at risk,” Krista told him as she walked over to the table and adjusted her sword until it rested between her shoulder blades.

Her stomach was expanding too rapidly for her to leave it resting by her hip; she could not reach it as easily.

Frieda cheered in response, “I am actually looking forward to this,”

Artorius glared at Frieda, not appreciating her comment.

“They requested my presence so they shall not harm me straight away,” Krista remembered what the messenger, “Me and Artorius will approach from the front. Alone.”

“Frieda,” Krista looked across at her general, “You’ll lead the others around the back, there are some caves around there. Find cover and wait for the signal.”