Chapter 12

Light floods into my empty house as the wide front door creaks open. The clock has spun to eight o'clock; mom should be getting home anytime now. The long drive home was filled with silent serenity as Rachel and I sat content within our own worlds. While she drove I looked out the window and watched the trees pass in slow motion as my mind picked up the lost speed. Now, home, I decide to finally rest my questioning brain and watch some numbing TV.

After a half and hour into Chopped, my mom barges into the living room. Her cheery face drops as she sees my various bags of clothes sprawled across the floor.

"You haven't been home five minutes Scarlett and you've already successfully destroyed the place," she says, deflated.

"Actually, I've been home approximately thirty-four minutes."

"I'm going to beat you for approximately thirty-four minutes," she jokes.

I laugh and get up to hug her. We walk side by side to the kitchen to begin creating my 'welcome home' dinner.

After I finish eating, I head upstairs to unpack and wash up. I leisurely unload everything, drained with the knowledge of returning to school again. Only two more months, I continue to remind myself; even though it's slightly more than two. After I finish my nightly routine, I climb into bed. Right as I begin to feel myself drift off, I'm blinded by my phone screen and shook by the rumbling of the vibration. Gritting my teeth in aggravation, I squint and glance towards the text. I don't recognize the number, and the area code is from out of state. Quizzically, I read the writing:

"Tomorrow's Monday, don't forget about our deal. I'll be waiting Tuesday."

Not even remotely curious how he got my number, I toss my phone to the side and focus on more important things, like sleep.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

The first day back passes by like a breeze: boring classes teaching uninteresting things to fill in the space before graduation. There's a chill of excitement and sorrow passing through the halls, one of everlasting knowing; knowing, that is, of the future ahead of us and the separation that comes with. Luckily, Rachel and I are going to colleges less than an hour away from each other, so we'll still always be in touch. Eric, unfortunately, is crossing the country on a track scholarship. He'll be off in California near the ocean and sand where he was basically bread to be; and I'll be heading down from North Carolina to Florida to attend NSU.

I cross the sandy pavement of the school's parking lot and reach my car. While I fumble with the keys, I glance up to see Damon staring me down while he leans against the side of his mustang, just five cars away. Rolling my eyes, I look back towards my door and place the key into the handle. I'm about to climb inside, but Damon begins to make his way over, taking casual steps.

"Hello Scarlett," he says slowly, pulling at the cuffed sleeve of his pale blue button-up.

"Hey Damon," I respond.

"You know, I was thinking," He steps in front of me as I step backward, my butt hitting my door. Damon smirks and leans his hips against my stomach, pressing his black jeans against my white ones. He cups my chin between his forefinger and thumb, and raises my head so that our eyes connect.

"You should wear something loose tomorrow," he ends.

"And why is that?"

"Oh, comfortability and all."

"Sounds more like 'easy access' to me," I say coolly.

"Now Scarlett dear, why would you assume that?" he asks with a mischievous side grin.