Chapter 14

"Why hello there, Cedric." A familiar, snarky voice sounded. The mage turned to see Calum standing by the mysterious fire, the light casting shadows across his face. "I am glad to see you alive and well."

 Cedric folded his arms across his chest. "Why do I have the odd urge not to believe you?"

 Laughing, Calum paced around the fire, hands locked behind his back. "Yes, well, I suppose I haven't exactly been your biggest supporter, have I? If only you knew why I was doing this Cedric, you'd understand."

 "That's the thing. I do know why, yet I don't understand. So why not explain it to me, brother?"

 Calum stopped in place and turned to Cedric, eyebrows raised. "Well now, you've been busy. Tell me exactly what you know."

 "Well, for starters I know about our sister." The king began, and he took notice of how Calum's mood changed at the mention of their deceased sibling. He looked genuinely sad. "I know that the reason you are sending out undead, and killing innocent people, is to bring her back. Those abominations that I have faced were your first attempt. You've become twisted by your deluded fantasy, Calum. You can't bring someone back from the dead. Not fully. All you're doing is ruining people's lives."

 "Shut up." Calum growled, clenching his fists. "I know what I am doing, and while the loss of life is tragic, it all works out in the end as long as our sister is brought back to us." He then looked down to the ground. "Besides, if I am going to feel bad about people dying, shouldn't I be upset over our village's people instead of random citizens?"

 "What do you mean? All I know of our home is that it was destroyed by something powerful, capable of taking out a village full of mages. At least, that's what I was told."

 "That's correct. It was indeed destroyed, and everyone killed, but do you know what did it? Or who?" Cedric's eyes widened as he understood what his brother was saying, and Calum laughed. "Oh yes, it was me Cedric. I killed them all and took their souls in hopes of reviving our sister, and yet... it still wasn't enough. I still need more. Just... a little more."

 "You're a monster." Cedric spat in disgust. "How can you validate the deaths of thousands for just one life? I don't care if she is our sister, I won't let you continue with this pointless slaughter."

 In response, Calum simply laughed. "If I were you, I wouldn't focus on other people's lives at the moment. Those men from last night seemed very angry with you. Be careful they don't come back."

 "Wait, how do you kno-"

 And once again, the world melted away.

 Cedric groaned as he came to, a sharp pain emanating from the back of his skull. Lifting his head and looking around, he saw that he was tied up and being carried down an alleyway. What was going on? He couldn't find Celene, and hoped that she was okay. He thought about simply burning his way through the ropes, but after a quick moment, decided against it. He wanted to see where he was being taken, and where his friend was. Hopefully, not far from him.

 The mage felt the person carrying him come to a stop, and put him down roughly. In front of the boy was a large man with a fat gut hanging out of a orange tunic. Sweat rolled down from his shiny, bald head and dripped down his face. A thin, silver scimitar with a gold hilt was strapped to his waist, and his hand rested on the round pommel.

 "So," the man huffed. "how did like my welcoming party?"

 "It was a a little too much for my taste." Cedric answered curtly. "Though, perhaps it would be better if I was told who my host was."