Jab They Met

Nandini knocked at the familar door in front of her. She heard hurrying footsteps before the door swung open. A girl in her teens stood staring at her. After a few minutes of awkward silence Nandini asked "um.. chacha chachi ghar par hain?"(umm.. Is Uncle and Aunt at home?)

"Nandini di?" Arohi asked finally finding her voice.

"Haa.." before she could complete. She was engulfed in a bone crushing hug

"Oh my god. I can't believe I'm finally meeting you. You have no idea how much I have rea... I mean heard about you" Arohi kept on blabbering while still hugging her. Rishabh gave Nandini a questioning look she answered with her own bewilderment.

Soon chacha and chachi came and she was engulfed in more hugs. Chachi officially introduced Arohi to Nandini and Rishabh. Nandini's initial reluctance disappeared as she soon warmed up to her. Arohi's bubbly nature reminded her of her own youth. Both Nandini and Rishabh were pampered by chachi and chachu. Finally after a very elaborate dinner chachi shooed them off to bed. Arohi and Nandini were to share a room..Arohi being a mini version of chachi , took it upon herself to tuck her in. Nandini didn't realise how much she had missed them until now. Enjoying her moments of bliss she closed her heavy eyelids and slipped into a dream less sleep. Tomorrow was going to be another matter entirely.

Arohi looked at her di sleeping peacefully beside her. She was exactly like she imagined her to be. 'Aiyyapa..pls give her smile back, pls give her Manik back.' this was her last thought before her own eyes dropped shut.

Nandini stood in front of Lifecare hospital. She had an appointment with Dr. Maya Sharma regarding Rishabh's treatment. She was asked to wait outside her cabin.

...

The phone at the Malhothra mansion rang for the fifth time. Manik who was sleeping got disturbed and threw it away in his sleep. But then his mobile started ringing. Irritated and angry Manik got ready to bad mouth who ever it was. But the name flashing on it stopped him. He took a few calming breaths and took the call.

"Hello di?"...

...

After a wait of 10 minutes Nandini was asked to come in. A beautiful lady in her early thirties smiled at her and introduced herself as Dr.Maya.

" So Nandini, Dr. Charles has already informed me about your brother's case. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. He just needs a few speech therapy sessions. Soon you're going to come back to me for a medicine to stop his chattering. " she said. Nandini smiled at her.

"Thank you so much doctor. I can't tell you how grateful I am." Nandini said gratitude filling her eyes.

"You just did. Call me Maya. I've a feeling that we're going to be good friends"

Maya looked at the girl in front of her. She felt a sense of camaraderie with her. Maybe it was Nandini's love for her brother that caught her attention. She very well knew what it felt like to watch your little brother suffer...

...

Manik stood outside Lifecare hospital, wondering for the third time why he had come here. Why was it so difficult to say no to her. Damn it. He kicked a wayward stone in frustration helplessly waiting for his sister.

Nandini was coming out of the hospital shuffling through her bag. She didn't notice where she was going and walked straight into someone's back. She felt herself losing her balance. She saw a wrist adorned with bracelets on her arm steadying her. Her heart stopped for a second and then sprinted. No. No. It can't be. Her back was turned towards him. Her worst fears were confirmed when she heard his voice.

"Can't you watch where you're going?. Don't you have eyes. Such a nuisance. Bloody commoner! Hello I'm talking to you." Manik lashed out at the girl letting out all his bottled up frustration. But she didn't even look at him. This angered him further and he turned her around with a rough grip on her arm. His eyes met with the very pair of chocolate brown eyes that haunted his dreams for the last five years. All words died in his throat as he saw her. The world stood still as they stared into each other's eyes...