Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

"Thank you so much, Marissa. I really enjoyed myself today," Leila said gratefully, plastering a smile on her face as she slipped out of the car.

"It's nothing. I hope we can go out more often." Marissa returned the smile and Leila waved before she made her way to the house. She rang the bell, since she didn't own a copy of the keys. A few minutes passed before Emily opened the door for her.

"Good evening, Leila," She welcomed and stepped aside to let her get in.

"Good evening to you, too, Emily. How was your day?" Leila asked as Emily offered her hand to take her coat but she shook her head.

"It was great! Thank you for asking. Although Mr. Gareth was acting a little weird today," She whispered the last sentence in concern.

"How weird?" Leila asked casually and took off her coat to hang it around the crook of her arm.

"Well, he wasn't really doing anything suspicious, but he hasn't been out of his room since this morning. He looks so much absorbed in his work today."

"Oh! Don't worry, Emily. I'll fix that," Leila replied with determination. "I'll see you for dinner, then," She said with a smile then ascended the stairs and to her own bedroom. She hooked her coat to a hanger and added it to the rack of clothes, and then she changed into a lone-sleeved polo shirt that she used its cap to cover her hair with, and matched it with a pair of black jeans. She pulled the zipper of the shirt up to her neck and walked out of her bedroom.

"David? Are you in there?" Leila called and knocked on her husband's door twice.

There was no answer.

"David? Hello!"

Still no answer.

Leila huffed and decided to let herself in. She grasped the knob nervously and twisted it open, revealing David's unusually neat room. She walked inside and slowly closed the door behind her.

David was sitting in front of his desk, his back leaning on his spinning chair and his feet resting on the desk before him. His laptop was placed on his thighs, and his fingers were furiously typing the data through the keyboard. Stacks of either clean or crumbled paper were scattered all over the table and a trash bin was standing next to the chair, almost empty but for a few candy covers.

"David?" Leila softly called for him but he didn't reply. His eyes were fixated on the screen of his computer and he didn't even budge. He clearly didn't notice her enter or else he would have spoken up. Leila walked closer towards him until she was standing next to the desk and noticed that his eyes were bloodshot and his hair was ruffled. His suit jacket was hovering over the back of his leather chair and his tie was hanging loose around his neck.

"David!" Leila called more firmly and held David's hand to stop him from writing anymore. His body tensed and his other hand immediately clasped on her wrist, freezing her place.

"Hey, it's me," Leila announced and bent on her knees next to him. "You have been working non-stop the whole day, David. You deserve some rest."

David turned to look at her for the first time and his grip on her hand loosened.

"Eh, I'm sorry I didn't notice you there," He apologized, and then he looked around him as if looking for something. "What time is it now?"

"It's five in the evening now, David. Come on with me so you could relax for a while," Leila offered and held his hand up.

"No!" He snapped at her and quickly pulled his arm away. Leila flinched and crawled further away from him.

When David noticed that he sighed exasperatedly and covered his face in his hands, leaning his back against the chair. "I'm sorry, Leila," He apologized and moved his hands away. "I'm just so stressed at the moment. Can you just give me another hour?"