Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

This can't be happening, Leila silently thought as she observed the pair of rounded silhouettes fidgeting at the other side of the street. The front door of the complex was swung open and the lights were turned on, casting shadows over the scene. Leila stood at her spot frozen, unable to utter a single word.

This can't be freaking happening.

She sucked in a breath as her own mother sent her a small wave from across the road as she helped her sister, Freda, to cross the road. She felt David's body tense next to her, so out of instinct, she pulled her hand away from his and slid the ring back down her finger, showering her in slightly hopeful warmth.

"You should probably run," She suggested in a calm, barely audible tone, stealing a quick glance at her husband.

"Shut up, Leila," David scolded mockingly, not returning her gaze. She shrugged and directed her eyes to the last person she wanted to see right now.

"Just a thought." She stopped to watch her mother and maternal aunt scurrying towards them, excitement evident on their faces. Once they made it close enough, Leila's mother walked over, engulfing her in a bone-wrecking embrace.

"My dearest daughter," She exclaimed. "You cannot imagine how much I've missed you."

Leila hesitated at first, slowly returning the gesture, as she listened to her mother's accented English, expressing just how much she had waited to see her.

"We were planning to come see you," She declared, just as she pulled away from her. "Just when the money was delivered. But we totally didn't expect your visit."

"Enough with that, Sister. Let me greet my niece," Freda interrupted as she shoved her sister aside gently and came over to hug her as well.

"How did you know we arrived?" Leila asked consciously, unaware of the fact that David was completely left alone at the moment. He probably wasn't used to not being the center of attention.

"We were standing at the balcony, chatting for a while, until we saw the cap pulling over there, and that's when we saw you come out," Her aunt explained, raising the lump in her throat. And that's when they finally noticed her husband standing.

"Oh! You must be David," Freda exclaiming, leaving to give him another motherly hug. Leila slammed her forehead.

"We've heard a lot about you, Son. All good, of course. You don't know how -,"

"Aunt Freda!" Leila called, catching her attention for a moment. The woman pulled away from the awkward embrace and looked back at her quizzically. "I really don't think that would be necessary."

"Why, it would, my dear. Your visit is a pleasure for all of us, and for that, you must be given the best treatment."

"Aunt Freda, he's not the king," Leila excused. "I've been gone for only a month. Why are you all acting like I'm a monument?"

The silence that followed gave nothing away. They just stared at her like she was just some strange creature.

"We had better get inside," Her mother suggested, and Leila nodded thankfully. They all went back to the inside, and Freda pressed the button for the elevator. Leila walked in slowly, inspecting the place she once called home. Right now, she felt like she was a stranger, a foreigner, a guest to her very own family.

As expected, David took short paces towards the elevator, curiously observing the place surrounding him. He looked somewhat funny with that confused look making up his face. Leila just stayed silent, hugging her body as if to brace herself for what was to come next. They were all silent for a while, and she could so evidently feel the tension growing in the air. She held her breath.