Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

They say time moves by slowly when you're depressed.

Well, that was a simple way to put it. It's slower than a freaking turtle.

Since that late conversation with David, they hadn't exchanged any other words. Both had their separate ways to spend the day; she would usually head to the distraction of tidying the house, and doing the laundry, while sometimes knitting. David, on the other hand, -,

Well, there wasn't much to say about David. He was either out for almost the whole day, from dawn till sunset. She had no idea what on Earth he did when he left, but she hoped for the better. Other times she had seen him using a laptop that he had probably borrowed from her father. But he spared her no attention, neither did he speak to her at all.

She didn't mind it. She didn't need to go through that roller coaster again. It was better that way. They would go through without fighting or arguing about whether he was actually faithful or that she was a presumably selfish gold-digger again. She didn't ask him about the truth. After all, some things were better left unspoken.

Sarah and Norah seemed to be spending a lot of time at their house for breakfast, unlike the usual. As if she didn't know why they were there. She didn't object. If David wanted either of them, he could have them. It didn't matter anymore. He had agreed to keep her, and that was the best situation she would rather be in, than be accused of being a disrespectful divorcee.

Over the time, Leila figured out some facts through David's frequent calls of urgency. - Yes, she had been eavesdropping. - As it seems, things at work weren't getting better. That Michael person and his account were a continuous bugging issue to their business. Not like she was able to figure out any of it. He seemed to have needed to be back in California, but he hadn't brought it up at all, which didn't make any sense to Leila.

On the other hand, some things seemed to be getting to the bright side. For example, Robin had finally grown the gut to earn Marissa a proposal, which of course, ended up with a yes from the latter. Moreover, Rosaline had won a scholarship to study abroad for college next year in Canada, and she didn't hesitate for a second to accept it, despite her brother's disapproval.

One Friday, Leila's father arrived with a wide grin spread on his face. After a long while of unanswered questions, he had finally explained the reason of his joy; which was receiving a visit-card for her brother at the army. Leila was eager to join the family, but David's answer was rejection. She tried to fight, but got nothing back. Seemingly, the husband's orders were honored under this roof.

When Leila came over to the room to take the laundry, David was still in the balcony, still finishing off some business call he had started over two hours ago.

She hoped it wasn't Zoe on the other end.

She picked up the used clothes from the hamper and was about to leave the room when David came in, looking through his phone.

Leila scampered to the door and almost stumbled over her feet when his voice interrupted.

"We need to talk," He said, making her swing back to face him, with the pile of clothes lying over her arms.

"What?" She exclaimed way too energetically, but then she composed herself and cleared her throat. "Oh! Yeah, sure. Go ahead."

He arched a brow. "Are you sure you're feeling okay this morning?"

Like you care, She wanted to say, but she bit her tongue just in time.

How dare he ask her that question? Was I okay? She mentally snorted. No! You have just neglected me for days after technically enslaving me to your own purposes and stripped me off almost every possible opportunity I stood a chance at, and yet you still had the guts to ask. So, you tell me. Why don't I be okay?