Part 3

A B A L O N

I feel nothing.

I should feel something right?

Javier is falling apart, hiccupping into my neck and yet I can't even find it in me to lift my arms and comfort him.

I can't help but wonder if this is what he felt when I cried. When I ached and yearned for this from him.

My instincts tell me to wrap him up in my arms and soothe his achy heart but I don't want to give him false hopes so I let him cry until he has had enough.

Avery's fussing catches both our attentions and Javier stills before planting a kiss to the side of my neck.

"I'm so sorry, Abalon." He whispers bleakly.

"Me too." I whisper back.

He climbs off me and I go to Avery. Javier goes in the direction of the bathroom and I go to Avery's nursery to get him changed.

We both exit at the same time coming face to face in the narrow hallway. Our eyes catch but it is I who looks away first. He looks haggard, drawn down in a way I've never seen him before. It's as if he knows and accepts my decision even though he knows not my verdict on what shall happen between us.

"The Enforcers are here." He says waving his cell phone in front of us. "And so are your parents."

"Why are my parents here?" I ask with a frown.

"I um... I called them." He admits and I just stare at him.

"Why?" I ask and he takes Avery from my arms.

"I broke my covenant with them." He says and my frown deepens. "I pledged that I will take care of you. That I will love you and protect you. Provide for you. I did none of those things. You did it all for yourself." he walks off with Avery. I'm left a speechless mess. My mother will kill him. That's the thought that gets me moving.

"Javier she will want retribution. There's nothing I can do if she calls for it." I say coming to a stop while he bounces Avery with a wide grin on his lips.

"And I will give it. She shall have her vengeance for your honor. There is nothing I would deny Avery and I expect the same from your mother." I stare at the man in front of me. Why? Why is he being this man now?

"Javier-

"There're some of your clothes still in the closet if you want to bathe and change before we go to the meeting. I'll watch Avery and clean up after." Javier leaves no room for objection when he walks away from me.

I sigh and do as he suggested. I shower and choose a shirt and pants. I think it's an outfit from one of our beach dates. Javier had told me he'd wash them and return them to me. Clearly he didn't and I'm grateful for them.

When I'm finished he gives Avery a bath and helps me to change his clothes before getting himself cleaned up. We avoid each other's eyes purposely and I busy myself with preparing Avery's travel bag with formula and ensuring he has his necessities should the need of them arise. One thing I can say is that babies have a way of needing the most ludicrous things when you don't have them.

Once I bathed him and took him for a walk only to discover he'd pooped and I didn't walk with his bag. Sometimes-er-most times it's a clean top because of spit ups. As it goes I have adopted the 'better to have and not need than to need and don't have' mindset when it comes to taking Avery anywhere.

Every step towards the meeting room has me on edge. I never kept in touch with them much after I left their pack to come here with Javier. When I realized I will never have my happy ending I stopped talking to my mother over the phone. She doesn't know about my unhappiness, she doesn't know Javier and I never completed our mating and she doesn't even know about Avery.

Oh shit. Both Javier and I are dead when she finds out all these things. I hesitate a tad bit after Javier enters the Alpha's office and my mother's scent hits me from the open door. When I finally step in she glares at me. I lower my eyes.

"Mama..." I can't even use my voice above a whisper when she looks at Avery. Disbelief, anger, love. She can smell Javier and I combined from Avery's baby skin until he matures to have his own individual scent. This way pups can't be lost and parents can't deny their legacies.

She meets Javier half way and takes Avery from his arms and I watch on as she rocks him gently and presses her lips to his forehead. Eyes so soft reminding me of the day I had to leave with Javier.

"Abby." My father's voice resonates around the room and my eyes flicker to him. Disappointment in me shines like a lighthouse to my lost ship.

"Daddy." I can't even call to him stronger than a whisper either.

My mother takes Avery to his grandfather and it is only then his harsh eyes soften as he looks upon my son, his first grandchild.

"Beautiful." He whispers down at Avery and presses his lips to the pup's head. I sigh lowly; they both accept him despite my withholding of him.

I look helplessly around the room. Alpha Tyke and Ivan together with my parents and three wolves I've never seen before stare back. The Enforcers are huge. Their scents reek of wolf but stronger, wilder.

"I am Enforcer Bryan." The one in the middle speaks first. He is bigger than the other two making him look mammoth sized with a clean shaven head and scars galore.

"My two colleagues Gary." He points to the man on his left with the mane of brunette curls. "And Jaheim." He gestures to the other on his right who sports almost as much scars as the other two with his low cut black hair. I show my neck in respect of them.

"Abalon Penn I have already taken the liberty to fill your parents in on why we are gathered here today since you are not properly mated you still are under the legal guardianship of them." Enforcer Bryan says and I nod. I don't trust my voice just yet.

"Have you come to any decision as yet as to what you have decided in regards to your mating?" he asks me and I nod my head.

"I want Beta Javier Morales to reject me as his mate."   

***********************************************************************************

A/N

I just finished watching Holding The Man... 

I'm... my heart... I can't even... 

That part where they go home from the hospital and the way Tim just held John... 

They paid tribute to Tim and John's love so beautifully. 

Ya'll need to watch this.

I swear I cried my eyes out.

Here is a link if you wanna. 

DISCLAIMER:

I will not be held responsible for any tears or heartache. 

And don't say I didn't warn ya.