Awake

I gave him a comic to read, let go of Peter's hand and stood up. His frightened eyes met mine. I held the can up and looked over to the bin.
"I'm not going anywhere." I whispered, I knew he could hear me even though no one else could. I didn't want him to be embarrassed in front of Banner. He nodded and began to read his comic again. I threw my rubbish out and sat back down again in my chair.
"How's your comic kiddo?" I asked him.
"It's so good! Thank you so much!" Peter exclaimed, it was hard to believe that a few hours ago this kid was screaming bloody murder, begging to stop the torture. I shivered at the thought of it. The hours went by and Peter pleaded to leave the lab and go up to his room. I wouldn't let him though, I wouldn't let him until he was completely better. Granted, his foot was almost healed, but not until he was perfect again would I ever let him leave this lab. The hours flew by and Peter looked exhausted.
"Mr. Stark? Can I go to sleep yet?" Peter yawned.
"It's only eight, but yeah, if you're too tired you can sleep now." I sighed.
"Thank you." He smiled.
"No problem kiddo. Get some sleep now." I smiled back.
"Don't leave please." He begged.
I nodded and waited for him to fall asleep before closing my own eyes. The night went by quickly, the chair was uncomfortable but I still felt better after my sleep.
I sat up straight and flattened my hair down. I stood up and went to get coffee, before remembering my promise. I took out my phone and called Nat.
"Hey."
"Do you know what time it is?" Nat said angrily.
"Sorry but I need some coffee, Peter's asleep." I whispered.
"You called me to get you coffee?! Get it yourself."
"Jeez calm down. I can't leave Peter, I promised him."
Nat sighed heavily.
"Fine, meet you there in ten minutes." She said, giving in to my requests.
I turned off my phone and looked at my ki... Peter. He looked so peaceful, so... at ease. Nat came in the door, careful not to make a sound.
"How is he?" She asked.
"Fine. He was really tired last night, but he was just so physically exhausted. I haven't left him alone since yesterday." I told her quietly.
"Okay that's good. What did Bruce say?"
"Not much. Just that he's healing well. His shoulder is still pretty bad but I mean he was stabbed. But mentally, well he had some nightmares last night, but he stopped stirring when I held his hand. That's supposed to happen for the next few weeks at the very least. It will scar him, but he should be okay. I mean, he's the bravest person I've ever met." I smiled down gratefully at the child and began ruffling his hair again.
Nat glanced at me and laughed.
"What's so funny?" I asked impatiently.
"You. Being so caring for some kid you met."
"Don't call him "some kid," he's my whole world and do you wanna know the truth? I love him, okay? Is that what you want to hear? I love him." I said cheekily.
"Well I'm glad to hear it, cause I love you too." Peter interrupted.
"Kid! You've got to stop pretending to sleep." I said impatiently.
"You can't get mad at someone you looove." Peter giggled.
"Oh shut up." I laughed quietly. Nat was watching us, half smiling and half surprised at how close we were.
"Are you okay anyways?" I asked him.
"Yep! My foot's all better and so is my shoulder, everything is fine and I'm gonna go to my bedroom now. Bye!" He tried to sit.
I jumped up and pinned him back to the bed, careful not to hurt his arm.
"Oh no! You do not! You are going to lie in that bed until I say you can get up." I said, taking my hand off of his chest.
"Mr. Staaaark."
"No, no, no. You will listen to me." I said sharply.
"Look at you, dad." Nat laughed. "Have you already started to help him with his homework?" She asked sarcastically.
"Haha very funny. And only if he can't figure out what to do." I replied. Nat let out an exasperated sigh. She shook her head and walked out of the room. She bumped into Bruce on her way out.
"Tony, he needs to be unconscious so I can fix his broken ankle. Blunt force trauma is the cause." Bruce said quietly.
"Yeah, He, uh... kicked the floor a couple of times." I said, rubbing the back of my neck. I mean, it wasn't completely a lie, when Loki was shocking him he did whack his foot off the floor a few times.
"Okay kiddo. Dr. Banner is just gonna put you to sleep for a couple of hours, I'm gonna be right here the whole time. Are you okay with that?" I asked him.
He looked frightened but agreed anyways. Bruce went to put the mask over his mouth, but Peter flinched backwards before collecting himself again.
"Sor...sorry." He apologised.
"That's okay, hey Bruce hand me that mask thing." I told him. "I'm gonna put it on you, okay?"
"Okay Mr. Stark, thank you." Peter said, smiling a little. I placed the mask on him and grabbed his hand again, as his eyes closed slowly.
"Love you Mr. Stark." Peter mumbled quietly.
I turned away from him and turned to Bruce.
"You better take the best care of my kid, do you understand?" I said, in a whisper.
"Yeah Tony, I got him." Bruce replied. I still didn't leave his side though, I sat there for almost two hours before Peter woke up...