Chapter 35

Kami watched as he approached the woman, who greeted him with a beaming face. She could tell by the woman's expression that Liam was in charm mode. She felt a twinge. She'd seen Liam's impressive skills. She just might lose this bet. At least the stakes were nothing. Answer a question? What was that all about?

This was interesting. The woman's face had changed. Gone was the genial expression. It was replaced by indignation and exaggerated gesticulating. Her pride had been hurt. Ha! So, Liam's flirting had met its limits. Very interesting!

Then Liam pointed at Kami, and the woman looked her up and down. The woman's expression smoothed as she nodded, her face relaxing back into the beaming smile. She waved at her. Whatever he was up to, it was successful. The woman was wrapping up both scarves. She wondered what he had said to change her entire demeanor like that.

Liam sauntered toward her, flashing a lazy smile that sent butterflies through her stomach. He was attractive, that one, but definitely trouble.

He handed her the scarves with a short bow.

"A package for milady," he said as he tucked her hand in his arm.

"All right, what's your trick?" Kami asked.

"Trick?" Liam responded with mock astonishment. "No tricks."

"What did you tell her to change her mind?"

"So you noticed that?"

"Yep. What gives?"

"Okay, so I may have embellished the truth a bit."

"Ha! I thought you were up to something."

"I told her you were my habibti," Liam said, "and that I wanted to buy a gift for you. After that she became more accommodating."

"Dare I ask what a habibti is?" Kami asked.

"Um, kind of like a sister."

"You have a guilty look. What's a habibti? Really?"

"I told you."

"Right," Kami said as they caught up to the group. "Yasmin, what's a habibti?"

Yasmin's eyes flashed.

"None of the boys have been calling you that, have they? Because it's best to just ignore them, and they'll probably leave you alone. They know they have no right to get that personal, but many of them do anyway."

"No Egyptian boys, just a certain cheeky English one," Kami said, nodding at Liam.

Liam relayed the story of his successful conquest, leaving Yasmin in a fit of giggles.

"Oh, that's too funny. Kami, since when are you Liam's sweetheart?"

Kami's jaw dropped and her face burned. Yasmin wouldn't let this one go. Not in a million years.

"Sweetheart?"

"His darling one," Yasmin cooed. "His dearest. You really think that woman thought you were his sister? You don't look anything like Liam!"

"Sister, huh?" Kami said, turning on Liam. "Still sticking to that story?"

Liam held up his hands in surrender.

"Hey, desperate times call for desperate measures," Liam said, looking around for a distraction. "Kofta! One of my favorites. You've got to try this, Kami."

They crowded around the food cart. Liam passed Kami a spicy lamb meatball. The savory combination of meat, onions, garlic and paprika exploded on her tongue. She liked the flavor, but it was a little on the hot side. She looked around for a drink.

"Here," Liam gave her a bottle of water as if he could read her mind.

"Thanks," she said, taking a long sip and handing it back. "But don't think you're off the hook just because you shared your water with me."

Liam looked remorseful, tried anyway but failed miserably. His lip twitched.

"You should have seen the look on the merchant's face," he laughed.

"You shouldn't have taken advantage of her like that," Kami frowned.

"Don't worry about her," Yasmin chimed in. "Liam may have gotten a bargain, but I guarantee most tourists do not come away so lucky. She has likely taken advantage of many."

"Ah, that hits the spot," Samuel said, rubbing his belly.

Yasmin stood up and paced anxiously.

"We should go back," she said. "Maybe the meeting will end early, and we can get some answers. I can't understand what has made Gedo so afraid. It is not like him to keep secrets."

The others followed her back to the building where they proceeded to wait just as long as Gedo had promised they would. When he emerged, his defeated face spoke volumes.

Kami felt sick to her stomach and couldn't finish her meatball. She dropped it on the ground. Even though they were in a bustling part of the city, she couldn't hear the noise, couldn't see the people and cars passing by. Her eyes were glued to her grandfather.

"Did Hassan agree to help?" Yasmin asked.

Gedo shook his head, his eyes anguished.

"It's too late," he mumbled. "Too late."

"Where is Neina?" Yasmin asked.

He shook his head and muttered.

Yasmin said, "Gedo, there must be something we can do to help her."

Her grandfather continued to mutter and stare off in the distance.

He let out a sigh. "You don't understand. I promised to not tell anyone. If she finds out, your lives will be at risk. I am not sure which course I should take. Hassan knows of the sightings. He says they have to investigate. Until they take care of the problem, they've suspended all archeology work."

"Who is this woman who made you promise to do this?" Yasmin demanded. "We need to know everything."

Gedo just shook his head again.

"So the authorities know about the shadow creatures. That's a good thing, right? Maybe they will find your wife?" Liam said.

Gedo let out a short bitter laugh.

"Not likely. You don't know what she's capable of!"

"Who, Gedo?" Yasmin insisted.

Gedo fell silent again.

Yasmin took one of Gedo's hands in hers and looked earnestly into his eyes. "Gedo, please. If you don't think they can save Neina, she doesn't have a chance unless we get to her first. We don't have a choice."

Gedo's head dropped.

"You are right. I had hoped, but never mind. They are planning to send the army after that woman. The moment they arrive, she will know I failed and kill Neina. We have to beat the army and rescue her first. I have no choice. I will tell you what I know."

____________

Please hit that star and vote.

Guesses as to what's happened to Gedo and Neina? I'm guessing y'all may have a few thoughts about who the woman is...

This chapter's dedication goes out to a delightful reader of BoS @midnightmvelvet! She lives in South Africa, so it's been particularly fun hearing her pov throughout the story. She is one of those very cool people who has actually seen a truck cut in half and driven by a donkey, only in her case I believe it was two donkeys. Thanks @midnightmvelvet for your perspective and for the fun. You can check out her writing by clicking on the dedication link above.