007

note // when i end Mercy, i will be updating Dust Bones more often! :)

        The looming tenor of metal roughly gliding against compact ground was bitter and returned the second I thought it had passed. I felt my nails dig into Harry's back deeper than before, but still caused no harm against him. Not at least enough for him to glower and grimace. I was breathing loudly, unable to keep myself relaxed under the situation. 

        A bright light flashed above our heads, both of us ducking simultaneously as a result. We hid behind the incline of the hill, patiently and anxiously waiting for more signs of unwelcoming presences. The whole sound and light scenario seemed strange on its own. I gasped when I heard a voice.

        "Are you sure they didn't just blow up with the others?" A rough tone asked, seeming impatient and annoyed. 

        Someone snickered, sounding cocky when they opened their mouth. "Yes. But, I'm sure they're not even on this desert anymore. Knowing Mr. Gates and his ways, she's probably on her way up state." 

        "Tell me why we need that little bitch anyway?" The rough one inquired. I frowned at the word he used to address me in. 

        Harry tensed, but made no movement. I felt his back muscles flex a bit beneath my palms. His skin was so warm despite the chilly wind that was brewing like soup in the air. I forced my hearing, finally going to know why they're looking for me. 

        "She's valuable, Francis!" Number two hollered bitterly. "Jasper wants the girl and we get her for him. As long as she's a Gates and she has what we need, it's all good."

        "Well it's clear they're not here. Maybe she even died back there." 

        "She didn't die back there! There was a blown bit of chemical bounds from grenades and other explosives. Styles is good with explosives." 

        A bitter chuckle echoed throughout the night. "I can't wait to rip that curly head off his neck. I've waited too long to get back at him for the scar he left on my face. Him and his boss. They're both dead once he find the girl." 

        "Tell me about it! Gates is quite the clever man leaving his daughter in the hands of that kid. He's smart, but in a psycho way." 

        I heard a scoff. "He's experienced, dumb ass."

        Their footsteps began to dull with a thick silence left behind their trails. I froze, mouth slightly agape while I stared at the back of Harry's shirt in thought. I'm valuable? In what ways do I become of importance to some mafia seeking revenge against my father's? This must be all some twisted game of getting even. And because I'm related to the boss, I'm thrown into it. 

        Harry sighed deeply, turning around and sitting on the dirt. I was still crouched down, staring at the fabric of his black jeans. 

        "Don't ask questions. You know I won't answer them." 

        "I think I deserve to know," I hastily commented. "They're looking for me. This is about me, too. I need to know why they want me." 

        His eyes fell into a narrowing position, glowering at me. "I follow orders, Catalina. Your father said --" 

        "I know what he said!" The inner me had control of my body, and my mouth ran all on its own. I was angry, but mostly anxious to understand what I'm running from. 

        Harry must have found this unacceptable, and he stood to his full height. His threatening, dominating height. I gulped, peering up at him as I slowly stood. His clenched jaw and fisted large hands made me realize that opening my mouth and talking to him in the way he constantly uses against me isn't the smartest of things to do.